News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Garb storage?

Started by ladypearl, December 08, 2008, 03:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ladypearl

I'm looking for good ways to store my garb and all the accessories and other bits and pieces.  I live in an old house, so I have humidity problems (or lack of humidity problems), dust, bugs, the occasional mouse infestation, no closet space, and 4 cats who love shredding, shedding and otherwise messing up things.

Any suggestions on how to keep the garb clean and safe and easily accessible?
I don't stand on ceremony, I stand on tavern benches!

Adriana Rose

I live in a tiny house and since between mom and I we have more garb than normal cloths. We store ours in plastic totes with dryer sheets in them, it keeps every thing togeather (theoretically lol) and we can put them outside with out having to worry about the totes getting messed up. It keeps the bugs and little furry woodland creatures out!

hope that helps

LaurenLee

I have a huge dowel rod nailed between rafters in my attic (fortunately, my ex put down some plywood for a floor).  Everything is hung up there.  My garb is mostly Civil War - big dresses!  I put an old sheet over them to protect from dust, but the extreme heat and cold don't harm them. Just have to pull down those stairs in the hallway whenever I want to get to it..  :)

Celtic Lady

Sir Morgan and I live in a very tiny apartment so we bought one of those garmet racks on wheels and a big garmet bag to hang our garb in and we have it in a secured climate controlled storage unit. For us it's ideal as we only use our garb a few times a year (we only go to a couple of faires). If money isn't a problem I'd suggest in investing in something like that. Ours is open 7 days a week and is open until 9:00 p.m. (not sure what time it opens, pretty early though).

Miranda

Loaner garb, i.e. old cotton skirts and my peasant bodices etc, go into a rubbermaid tote.
Linens, shifts, partlets, stockings shirts, drawers, and the like go into their own rubbermaid tote.
Shoes go into a smaller rubbermaid tote.
My gowns and my boyfriend's doublets and breeches go into protective bags I purchased at Ikea (SKUBB 3.99) which is hung on a rolling garment rack also from Ikea (STATIV 24.99)

This set up works really well if you have a storage room, basement, garage, dorm room, sewing dungeon etc which lacks closet space.  The tubs are stackable, and take up very little floor space and come in handy during faire season, as a great way to schlep your garb from point a to b.

OH, for humidity issues (too much that is) DAMP RID is fantastic.  Lived in a really nasty clammy dorm room in college and this stuff works wonders.
Lady Margaret Howard -The Order of St. Thomas More.

ladypearl

Thanks for the great ideas!  I don't really have any spare room at all here - it's a small house and I have a LOT of stuff.  In theory I have plenty of attic space, but I don't have a way to get up there without standing on a shaky shelf in an awkward closet.

The biggest problem (other than my cats) is that I need to be able to get at things easily since I don't have a real off-season anymore.  I have to have cold weather gear, warm weather gear, lots of rain-proof gear and lots of layers for those days that go from hot to cold.  Clear Rubbermaid tubs are helping, especially when I need to grab and go, but I need a way to keep the skirts from getting wrinkled and whatnot.  I also have a TON of accessories and the small whatnots that get lost so easily.  I keep the jewelry in a tacklebox, but not everything fits.

What is the best way to hang/fold/store a big heavy overskirt?  I'm afraid to hang them by the waistbands because I'm afraid that there will be too much strain on the stitching.

My hoop skirts also present storage nightmares since I just haven't got the knack for twisting them up into a small little package.  One day I really need to make a corded farthingale - they store better!

Damp Rid.  Huh.  I use it in the rest of the house, so I have no idea why it never occurred to me to use it with my garb storage.

Miranda

How much non attic space can you spare?  It would be helpful to know what kind of space you are dealing with.  Even a dedicated corner can work.  I once shared a 500 sqft apartment with my musican boyfriend.  So imagine garb, sewing stuff, instruments, and sound equipment.  There is always a solution. 

gypsylakat

I've heard the best way to hang jeans is by the ankles/hem so that the waistband helps hangout wrinkles... not sure if this would work for skirts... but hypothetically it should..
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

Randal

I bought plastic clothing containers that are designed to roll under the bed. They hold doublets and bodices just fine, but aren't long enough for a gown. After the season is over, everything gets washed and folded, then separated into my wife's tub or mine. Throw in a few cedar chips to keep the critters at bay, then roll them under the bed.

Cloaks get hung on sturdy wooden hangers, then hung on the back of the bedroom door.

Granted, our garb is lower middle class, and you may want to take more care with noble garb.

Randal
Vive Ut Vive

CaraGreenleaf

Like a lot who have posted above me, I store most of my stuff in the xtra large plastic tubs. Most of that is my fabric, my larger trim amounts, etc. My patterns all go into ziploc bags, then into binders.

For my finished garb and such, I went to a dry-cleaner and asked to buy a roll of their plastic hanger bags. They actually just gave about a 1/4 of a roll to me, so I use those. Then the dresses/skirts/blouses/etc. get hung on hangers and covered w/ plastic for protection. My belts and boots go into tupperwares and my tail and anything the cats would steal go into their own container.
Castleteer, IWG# 3606, MERC# 836, PRIV# 1311
Flog'n M'Crack, Chieftess of O'Cinneide

Corseter, Costumer and Crochete

ladypearl

Quote from: Miranda on December 08, 2008, 09:56:43 PM
How much non attic space can you spare?  It would be helpful to know what kind of space you are dealing with.  Even a dedicated corner can work.  I once shared a 500 sqft apartment with my musican boyfriend.  So imagine garb, sewing stuff, instruments, and sound equipment.  There is always a solution. 

Until I get a safe way to get into the attic, I can't use any of the space at all.  My house is around 1000 square feet and the attic covers the entire space. 

Anything that gets stored anywhere in the house has to be cat-proofed.  They are very jealous of my time and attention and they do NOT like the time and attention I spend on faire things!

Miranda

Non-attic space.  I mean, do you have an available corner in a bedroom, etc?

ladypearl

Quote from: Miranda on December 09, 2008, 11:02:31 AM
Non-attic space.  I mean, do you have an available corner in a bedroom, etc?

Sorry, I didn't read that right!  I have some space, but none that are protected from the cats unless I use one of those free-standing fabric closets, which the cats shred.

I guess a better question was "How can I protect my garb from my cats and keep all the bits and pieces organized."

Sigh.

Miranda

Things that can be folded can go into tubs, most definately.  If you are careful, even foreparts and sleeves can be "tubbed."  Hats can also go into tubs, which prevents the more structured hats from being smooshed  I still recommend a clothing rack and zippered garment storage bags for the hangables.  One "SKUBB" can hold the average velvet elizabethan court gown.     
After "SKUBBING" your gowns, affix double sided tape to the shred prone areas of the garment bags.  "Sticky Paws" is the best for this, saves furniture too.  Then spray the area with something like "kitty be gone" which is again supremely useful in saving furniture.  Repeat the spraying about once a week.  Increase frequency if you see the kitties messing around.  Both of the kitty proofing items can be had at most pet stores.

Eventually they will stop messing with the garb and you won't need the tape or spray.

ladypearl

Quote from: Miranda on December 09, 2008, 07:05:08 PM

After "SKUBBING" your gowns, affix double sided tape to the shred prone areas of the garment bags.  "Sticky Paws" is the best for this, saves furniture too.  Then spray the area with something like "kitty be gone" which is again supremely useful in saving furniture.  Repeat the spraying about once a week.  Increase frequency if you see the kitties messing around.  Both of the kitty proofing items can be had at most pet stores.

Eventually they will stop messing with the garb and you won't need the tape or spray.

I had heard about "Sticky Paws" - that's definitely something to look into - THANK YOU!