News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Skirt - h/a and a few other things

Started by LAVAGODDESSSS, August 20, 2011, 04:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adriana Rose

In the discripton the seller says that the skirt needs a hoop under it to give it the full effect, but there are ways around it with out having to drop the bundle that they want.

For the skirt I have heard nothing but good from Damsel in this Dress she will be willing to work with you to make it fuller there probably will be a bit of a price hike.

If you want to sew it yourself I use a simplicity pattern for a ren skirt and I add two or four extra panels to make a fuller skirt. I did a Belle costume this summer and I went for that look
http://www.pbase.com/delaneyalysa/image/136134384

I had a crinolin under it to start the day but it got too hot to wear so the skirt doesnt have the poof that it did with it in this photo. But I double layered it and hand sewed pickups in the skirt ( its still a work in progress)

LAVAGODDESSSS

Quote from: Adriana Rose on August 23, 2011, 09:37:54 PM
In the discripton the seller says that the skirt needs a hoop under it to give it the full effect, but there are ways around it with out having to drop the bundle that they want.

For the skirt I have heard nothing but good from Damsel in this Dress she will be willing to work with you to make it fuller there probably will be a bit of a price hike.

If you want to sew it yourself I use a simplicity pattern for a ren skirt and I add two or four extra panels to make a fuller skirt. I did a Belle costume this summer and I went for that look
http://www.pbase.com/delaneyalysa/image/136134384

I had a crinolin under it to start the day but it got too hot to wear so the skirt doesnt have the poof that it did with it in this photo. But I double layered it and hand sewed pickups in the skirt ( its still a work in progress)

99% of my garb is from Damsel, she's amazing. I talked to her about the stuff under and she doesn't do it. The skirt itself  is really nice and full, depending how big one's waist is. It goes UP to 100 inches, which, of course I won't go near. But I wasn't sure if I was going to do the tulle if I needed to ask for even MORE.  That's totally ok, I'll just have her make one long enough for me and worry about the tulle another time unless I stumble upon it. I've been looking for a cheap alternative, on etsy, ebay, etc. but everyone has one in white. I'll get it one day. And I'll take a look at your pattern, so thank you!!!!! I've wanted to make a more 'cotton' skirt for my peasant/wench garb so that'll really really help. Thank you!

Lady Renee, you hit the nail RIGHT on the head. I want a bridal crinoline and I don't know where to find a black one. So far, they are all white. You got it right! Yes, that skirt IS pricey, I have the overskirt from someone else (well, similar), and liked the look, just...well, couldn't bring myself to buy it at that price, hence this thread. I've really gotten a good idea of what I have to do now, just have to be patient and find it!!!

And Betty, I PROMISE I will post from the masquerade ball. I promise promise. I just bought an edwardian lace neck thing...lol, my powers of description are great. But it'll look pretty nifty with my mask being lace too. Thank you again!!!
Beauty is found in those who take the time to build you up.

Lady Renee Buchanan

Lavagoddess,

I wear my crinoline under all my skirts when I want a less pouffy look.  It doesn't matter if it's white, you can't see it through the fabric.

Am I incorrect in thinking the crinoline will be underneath the skirt?  If so, the white wouldn't matter unless the material is sheer.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

LAVAGODDESSSS

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on August 24, 2011, 09:09:22 PM
Lavagoddess,

I wear my crinoline under all my skirts when I want a less pouffy look.  It doesn't matter if it's white, you can't see it through the fabric.

Am I incorrect in thinking the crinoline will be underneath the skirt?  If so, the white wouldn't matter unless the material is sheer.

Hi!

You are right. most of the time you woudln't see it. I was going to for the masquerade ball gather a bit if I could find a black one and show it a bit. Unconventional, I know. But I can't find it in black for reasonable, so I may just forgo that little extra. I'll just use a white one and not pin up. It really was just for this one time (the pining up on one side).

You know, a few people said that I would be considered wearing modern wear, and that I was headed twoards goth by doing tulle. The last few posts I'm understanding that people use what they want, and that I should just do what I want ;)

:D Thanks!!!!

isabelladangelo

Quote from: LAVAGODDESSSS on August 24, 2011, 09:28:49 PM

You know, a few people said that I would be considered wearing modern wear, and that I was headed twoards goth by doing tulle. The last few posts I'm understanding that people use what they want, and that I should just do what I want ;)

:D Thanks!!!!

Yes you can use what you want if you aren't trying to be historical.   If you are trying to be historical, tulle is way out -which is one of the reasons so many of us have tried to explain to go with a hoop skirt instead.  The hoop skirt if great for a variety of periods and is much easier to keep clean that tulle is.

I know you keep saying "historical" but well, to quote the Princess Bride "I don't think it means what you think it means".   From the pictures and descriptions you have posted, you have a modern "Victorian" corset, a generic long skirt, a steampunk hat; everything that suggest fantasy wear -which is fine- but it needs to be called that.  By using the incorrect terms, I know I'm not the only one confused on exactly what you are looking for and it's also why you keep getting the information you don't want. 

arbcoind

http://recollections.biz/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=R&Product_Code=2032CBK&Category_Code=MourningAccessories

Recollections has a black crinoline.  I have one of their crinolines and two of their victorian gowns.  All are nice quality and washable. The customer service is good.

Gina

operafantomet

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on August 23, 2011, 09:27:01 PM
I have a hoop skirt (farthingale) and also a bridal crinoline slip that I bought at Goodwill for $6 or $7.  It was for under a bridal dress.  I wear either one for faire, depending on what I'm wearing and what kind of shape I want to have.

The hoop makes things go out and stay out round.  The crinoline gives a little fullness, but it moves and swishes when you walk, so it is not 1 continuous bell shape like the hoop skirt.

Nobody has ever said anything to me as to what is under my skirt.  No one sees it, and it's none of their business!

When I read your original post, this seemed to me to be the question you were asking.  If I got it wrong, then I apologize.  By the way, the skirt is very pretty, and I like it a lot, but it's rather pricey at $175.

I agree with this, $175 is a bit expensive considering tulle/netting is a fairly cheap material. On the other hand, it is a pain to work with in terms of regular sewing machines, so...

If you want to attempt making one yourself, it really isn't too hard. I've made several for stage costumes I've made, and though it demands lots and lots of netting, the biggest job is to fold it, gather it, and stitch it down. Make a cotton fundament, so the sewing machine handle it. I wrote a sort of tutorial some months ago:

http://aneafiles.webs.com/nettingskirt.html

Anna Iram

I really thnk everyone is just trying to help. It's hard sometime to offer advice when one isn't exactly sure what would ne best.

No, tulle is in no way period appropriate, and yes your hat is not really period appropriate either. Or perhaps accurate is a better word.,Is that a BlondeSwan? I have one and love it!! I believe some of the ladies of the Court at MIRF also wear one. That's where I bought mine. So you are in good company and if that's what makes your heart sing then I say wear it. :)

I saw a visitor to my home faire wear a lovely full layered tulle skirt along with her pirate garb and it looked fabulous. She probably did gather lot's of twigs along the way, but also lot's of complements and she looked to be having fun in her swishy skirt. No not for everyday,  but special occassions give you the chance to pull out all the stops. I hope you can find one in your price range. My tboughts are that to get the fullness you want you may have to spend a pretty penny for lot's of layers. Browse through Etsy. There are a few custom makers there.

Edit. Just saw Anea's post above. Is this skirt you purchased tulle or is it taffeta? Can't tell on my tiny phone. I thought perhaps it was tafetta and you were looking for an underskirt of tulle.

I have read of people dying tulle,...just throwing this out there..... but that would be a mess and you might not get the dark black you want. Make one or buy one I think.

Alphena Brennafax

You can buy a white crinoline and dye it using fabric dye. There are quite a few bridal blogs about it. It may not get to completely jet black but even a darker grey might be lovely.

http://thatbride.blogspot.com/2008/04/adventures-in-crinoline-dyeing.html

Anna Iram

I'd done a search for dying to black. It may not be as easy as a color.From what I've read, you need to buy a particular dye for the kind of tulle you have. You need high heat and a big pot you won't use for cooking. I'd have half the kitchen black before I was done.  ;D. Of couse I' ve not done this before. Just what I've read. It would be an inexpensive alternative. Especially if you start with a pettycoat from a second hand store as Renee did.

I agree grey might be lovely too.:)

You might also check consignment shops. There are bridal and formal resale shops around. Might find a black one there. Never know...

LAVAGODDESSSS

Quote from: arbcoind on August 25, 2011, 08:06:20 AM
http://recollections.biz/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=R&Product_Code=2032CBK&Category_Code=MourningAccessories

Recollections has a black crinoline.  I have one of their crinolines and two of their victorian gowns.  All are nice quality and washable. The customer service is good.

Gina

Gina, Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for!  It's one of the things I was hoping for, someone's personal recommendation. I love online shopping, but sometimes it's hard to trust one's money that way. Thank you for taking the time!!! I'll let you know if I find something that I can use!

Quote from: Anna Iram on August 25, 2011, 12:21:49 PM

I'd done a search for dying to black. It may not be as easy as a color.From what I've read, you need to buy a particular dye for the kind of tulle you have. You need high heat and a big pot you won't use for cooking. I'd have half the kitchen black before I was done.  ;D. Of couse I' ve not done this before. Just what I've read. It would be an inexpensive alternative. Especially if you start with a pettycoat from a second hand store as Renee did.

I agree grey might be lovely too.:)

You might also check consignment shops. There are bridal and formal resale shops around. Might find a black one there. Never know...

Anna,
I cannot thank you enough, this is the sort of thing I was aiming for. I realized early on that I cannot afford to buy the skirt that was the inspiration, just out of my budget, so this sort of thing helps me as I'm overcoming obstacles, such as obtaining black tulle. I found tons of white tulle, as you and so many other lovely ladies suggested (easy for people like me who don't sew to forget that repurposing is really almost like magic!), at a consignment shop and at my local goodwill. I haven't purchased either of them yet, because I didn't know how to dye it. Now that you and Alpehena were so kind as to give me some direction, I can add it to a list of possible things!  I was pretty scared to dye something like this. I tried to dye a pair of jeans once and I had blue hands for two weeks. BUT, at least with your info and Alphena's link (thank you Alphena) I'm well aware of the pitfalls. lol.

LAVAGODDESSSS

Quote from: Anna Iram on August 25, 2011, 09:35:58 AM
I really thnk everyone is just trying to help. It's hard sometime to offer advice when one isn't exactly sure what would ne best.

And so far, most of everyone has helped. Immensely. I came into this knowing I don't like hoops and so far not finding anything to fluff my skirts that I've liked.  I didn't know if I was missing out on some other secret either, beyond hoops, bum rolls, etc.
I found that image of the woman in the green/black skirt and tulle peeking out and fell in love. But I had no idea about Tulle, in any way. The complexities of using it, if there was a reason for it being so expensive in that listing (I found it on Etsy, by the way), and also just wondering if anyone knows if Tulle was used historically. It was for a bit of fun, and I really was enjoying reading most of these posts. So thank you!

I have read of people dying tulle,...just throwing this out there..... but that would be a mess and you might not get the dark black you want. Make one or buy one I think.

So far, that sounds about the best idea. Still looking for it though. I scoured Etsy and Amazon and found only a few options, but they too were expensive ($90+ Yikes!). But I really do think that I'm going to have to forgo the dying until I read more about it through the link Alphena gave. And that isnt' a project I can take on before this year's ball. So maybe for the future.  Or I have to think of something more creative so that I don't do an entire skirt. Perhaps I can use one of my old skirts that are too short, use some of the sewing references a few gave here and just do the lower layers? I'd get the poof at the bottom (where I need it most) and I'd get the effect. 

This has really given me ideas.  Exactly what I knew you wonderful ladies would do for me. I'd curtsy, but I'm awful at it!

No, tulle is in no way period appropriate, and yes your hat is not really period appropriate either. Or perhaps accurate is a better word.,Is that a BlondeSwan? I have one and love it!! I believe some of the ladies of the Court at MIRF also wear one. That's where I bought mine. So you are in good company and if that's what makes your heart sing then I say wear it. :)

I saw a visitor to my home faire wear a lovely full layered tulle skirt along with her pirate garb and it looked fabulous. She probably did gather lot's of twigs along the way, but also lot's of complements and she looked to be having fun in her swishy skirt. No not for everyday,  but special occassions give you the chance to pull out all the stops. I hope you can find one in your price range.
Exactly. Exactly. You get it! And thank you to the other ladies that have let me know they too have enjoyed tulle!  None of us are totally historically accurate (I think that was a nice convo somewhere else!). And while the ball for me is going to be a bit less so than my normal, it didn't bother me.  As you said,  special occasion. And I didn't think my outfit not being totally h/a was a big deal until just recently reading another post.  I really just wanted to wear the things that made me happy! While celebrating the essence of the Ren Faire. 
I really just came to figure out a way to make my 'dream' come true on this front. You all have helped me get closer to what I wanted. So a heartfelt thank you.

Edit. Just saw Anea's post above. Is this skirt you purchased tulle or is it taffeta? Can't tell on my tiny phone. I thought perhaps it was tafetta and you were looking for an underskirt of tulle.
You are correct. It is taffetta and I am looking for an underskirt of tulle! :)

LAVAGODDESSSS

Isabella, I was struggling whether or not to respond to this. But I was having such a lovely time until I read this. Please don't take this as disrespect, but this is the second post like this that made me go "What on earth?"

Quote from: isabelladangelo on August 25, 2011, 06:00:34 AM

Yes you can use what you want if you aren't trying to be historical.   If you are trying to be historical, tulle is way out -which is one of the reasons so many of us have tried to explain to go with a hoop skirt instead.

I've said it multiple times, I understand that the tulle as an underskirt is not h/a.  I have not seen these many who have needed to remind me over and over again about this fact or the hoop. I was greatly appreciative of those who helped me understand all my options, and the downfalls of tulle.

Quote from: isabelladangelo on August 25, 2011, 06:00:34 AM

I know you keep saying "historical" but well, to quote the Princess Bride "I don't think it means what you think it means".   From the pictures and descriptions you have posted, you have a modern "Victorian" corset, a generic long skirt, a steampunk hat; everything that suggest fantasy wear -which is fine- but it needs to be called that.  By using the incorrect terms, I know I'm not the only one confused on exactly what you are looking for and it's also why you keep getting the information you don't want.
You know...  I was really enjoying this place.  Everyone else gave me exactly what I came here for, and I was having such a lovely time of it. Until this. No one else seemed to be confused, and I haven't been using incorrect terms. But thank you for trying to correct me.

I don't appreciate being told that I don't "truly" understand what I'm saying.  That is condescending.  And I'm not sure where you came up with the fact that I kept calling things historical. I came here for some advice on tulle, and somehow you've taken that as an opportunity to "school" me in how historically inaccurate I am. I'm appalled by the fact you insist that I must be told that I "need" to call things by the names you've given them. To do so otherwise, would be... I don't know...horrific.
I was having SUCH an amazing time reading people's responses. I made it very clear that I understood my tulle was not H/A, I came here for a bit of knowledge and so many gave it to me, without making me feel less for asking or talking about it.   For people not getting what I was asking for, they gave me exactly what I needed:  guidance on alternatives, a guide on what to try if I cannot afford the skirt, a half dozen other things to try to get the 'look' I'm going for, and most of all, some support and camaraderie.

I do not have a generic long skirt, nor do I have a "modern" victorian corset (you've never seen a picture of it, so there can be no judgement on the period), nor is my hat steam punk.  If they were, I'd still be a bit ... beside myself in the way this was handled.  Who cares if they are? I never ran around this thread going "I'm going to wear my h/a hat, and my h/a skirt, and my h/a..."  I didn't know that was a big deal nor did I know I emphasized it. I don't GET why this got brought up.   I'm wearing styles that span a variety of periods. There were many who celebrated it. I didn't know it was such a big deal!

As someone so wisely put it, they may not be "historically accurate" but they are close enough for me and close enough for many in the cast in the faires I've gone to.  My items span many periods (let me be clear I am not referring to the tulle) but they have not lost all their accuracy.    I've spent a great deal of care on choosing my items, and while this thread is focused on an element that I knew wasn't typical, I wanted to give it a shot and came here for some help. 

My items have been  bought them from vendors who take a historical period and make something lovely.  They have not been taken so far that  my garb is now 'fantasy.'  Even if it was, it wouldn't bother me. What bothers me is ... there was like this insistence that I be corrected for being so entirely wrong.
I'd like to think I know a bit of what I'm saying, that not everything I've said need be refuted, I never said I was a historical scholar. But I also never said that my outfit was H/A.  Any by the way, while I still understand tulle as an underthing is not H/A, tulle was invented in the 1700's by the French and worn by Queen Victoria in 1840. There is even history to suggest the Greeks used something very similar. 

I thought the point of ren faire was to take history and celebrate it.  There were so many here that seemed to celebrate with me, and got what I was doing.

I'm moving on, and going to thank you all again. I mean it.

My sincere and heartfelt thank you to those who helped me so very much in this and the other threads, you've made it a lot easier to make my big weekend  so much more special.  I truly was enjoying myself so very much.  I wish you could have seen the excitement.  As corny as that sounds.  While this is not my usual style,  I hope you'll forgive me for having said something. I meant no harm, just beside myself.

I intend on taking all that you've taught me to go celebrate my anniversary and enjoy the formal masquerade ball.  I hope to see you all around, perhaps I'll return. I hope so.

isabelladangelo

Quote from: LAVAGODDESSSS on August 25, 2011, 09:42:08 PM
Isabella, I was struggling whether or not to respond to this. But I was having such a lovely time until I read this. Please don't take this as disrespect, but this is the second post like this that made me go "What on earth?"

I've said it multiple times, I understand that the tulle as an underskirt is not h/a.  I have not seen these many who have needed to remind me over and over again about this fact or the hoop. I was greatly appreciative of those who helped me understand all my options, and the downfalls of tulle.

You know...  I was really enjoying this place.  Everyone else gave me exactly what I came here for, and I was having such a lovely time of it. Until this. No one else seemed to be confused, and I haven't been using incorrect terms. But thank you for trying to correct me.

I don't appreciate being told that I don't "truly" understand what I'm saying.  That is condescending.  And I'm not sure where you came up with the fact that I kept calling things historical. I came here for some advice on tulle, and somehow you've taken that as an opportunity to "school" me in how historically inaccurate I am. I'm appalled by the fact you insist that I must be told that I "need" to call things by the names you've given them. To do so otherwise, would be... I don't know...horrific.
I was having SUCH an amazing time reading people's responses. I made it very clear that I understood my tulle was not H/A, I came here for a bit of knowledge and so many gave it to me, without making me feel less for asking or talking about it.   For people not getting what I was asking for, they gave me exactly what I needed:  guidance on alternatives, a guide on what to try if I cannot afford the skirt, a half dozen other things to try to get the 'look' I'm going for, and most of all, some support and camaraderie.

I do not have a generic long skirt, nor do I have a "modern" victorian corset (you've never seen a picture of it, so there can be no judgement on the period), nor is my hat steam punk.  If they were, I'd still be a bit ... beside myself in the way this was handled.  Who cares if they are? I never ran around this thread going "I'm going to wear my h/a hat, and my h/a skirt, and my h/a..."  I didn't know that was a big deal nor did I know I emphasized it. I don't GET why this got brought up.   I'm wearing styles that span a variety of periods. There were many who celebrated it. I didn't know it was such a big deal!

As someone so wisely put it, they may not be "historically accurate" but they are close enough for me and close enough for many in the cast in the faires I've gone to.  My items span many periods (let me be clear I am not referring to the tulle) but they have not lost all their accuracy.    I've spent a great deal of care on choosing my items, and while this thread is focused on an element that I knew wasn't typical, I wanted to give it a shot and came here for some help. 

My items have been  bought them from vendors who take a historical period and make something lovely.  They have not been taken so far that  my garb is now 'fantasy.'  Even if it was, it wouldn't bother me. What bothers me is ... there was like this insistence that I be corrected for being so entirely wrong.

Since you brought this into a public forum:

First, you said in this very thread:

"So, I said in a prev. post that we are prepping for a formal masquerade ball. Then I also said that I don't DO H/A, but I thought about it. While my stuff isn't H/A, I don't want to just completely disregard any semblance of ... well you get it."

Okay, fine.   Based on your first post -no where in which is tulle mentioned- you ask what to use underneath your skirts to make them bigger.  A perfectly fine question.   In fact, you sort of answer it yourself with the follow up of:
"But I haven't seen anyone with under'things' like this at the faire (or I didn't pay attention, that happens too). Was it ever worn? Or did they just use hoops, etc.?"

Again, all taken from your first post to this thread.  Then, in a reply you state:
"THis is formal, so I'm not going for H/A, but I don't want to stick out too bad like a sore thumb."

Okay, so no sticking out like a sore thumb....

You talk about a long Victorian/Edwardian corset in this very thread "I like my corsets to cover my entire torso, without using tabs, et".  Are you now saying this is not what would your wear?

Another contradiction is where you say "As for the tulle,  I wasn't using it just for the shape, but the actual look." in this very thread.  Yet you also say "I may have an overskirt that I think may work with the under 'stuff' But is there anything I should tell her while she's making that skirt for me (it's in the works whether I make the outerskirt for this or not) to accomodate the extra stuff (I believe it is tulle) under? "   

And then in this thread you state "I just am not a fan of the traditional underthings that I'm aware of. So this was multi-fold, to hear about the options (if there were any beyond the ones I knew about - hoops, farthingale, etc.) that may work better, to find out if anyone knew where to find black tulle underthings (I've found lots of white and I know someone linked to that), and to really decide if it's what I wanted."

So after asking us about hoops you don't really want hoops?   I pointed out you should have mentioned that to being with.  If you look at your first post, again, you'll notice no such thing is mentioned.  You also mention the tulle again... First you say you want the shape of the skirt, and then you don't want the tulle for the shape of the skirt -just as an accent- and then you want the tulle to fluff the skirt.  See the confusion?

I could point out many more but I hope that may be enough.  I'm only trying to point out you've been highly inconsistent in what you've asked for.   

Rani Zemirah

I didn't seem to have any problems understanding that what was actually asked for was a little help and advice trying to figure out how to get the particular look that was desired, no matter what form, material or era it may have been from...

Lavagoddess... I know your Masquerade garb will be lovely, and you will shine in it, because you're making the effort to find exactly what you envision!  Please do post photos once you have them!  I look forward to seeing all of your lovely sounding pieces put together!  
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede