News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

AWESOME stage acts at SRF 2010

Started by Queen Margaret, May 19, 2010, 06:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queen Margaret

What stage acts are ab/fab at SRF? Ab/fab is "absolutely fabulous" (no ref to the BBC show intended, BTW). Well...ALL of them, actually. But if you could only see a few, here are the must-see acts for the final 5 days of SRF 2010.

My top picks (in NO particular order) for 2010 are:

1. ALFRED GREENLEAF HOLMES: Gordy Boudreaux, whom many of you remember as Scratch the Mudbeggar, has returned as the filthiest classical renaissance poet ever. Proof that you CAN be utterly blue AND brilliant all at the same time. Liberal arts pervs everywhere would be proud.

2. All the ones at the Rose & Crown restaurant. Music, music, music and REALLY good food. You also never know who is gonna show up at the Rose & Crown to eat. 3:30 pm: the Joust knights. (Most mornings around 11-ish or noon-ish, it's yours truly with her Highlander guard. Not promoting us so much as warning you. The warning is just a little public service we provide.)

3. The Joust (not that I'm biased, but I do appear at the 2 pm and they let everybody ride the horses. I think that's COOL!)

4. Ebeneezer Crumby, the Irate Pirate: Pat Johnson, formerly of the Mud Beggars, recites piratical mad libs with major audience participation at the White Horse Tavern. (Pat's really really good looking under all that piratical facial stuff. You'd never recognize him in the non-ren world. Kinda cute as a pirate, too.).

5. German Brothers: renaissance rap comedy. Please note: they are NOT twins, even though that's what the stage marquee says.

6. The cast. No really. They are all that good.

Now, having said all that, WHO are YOUR picks? Whom do you come back to see every time? Queen Margaret drops the gauntlet. Pick it up, if you dare!  ;D
A calm sea never made for a skillful manner. -English proverb

paul42

Lady Kett

Is Alfred Greenleaf Holmes the one that hangs out near the book shop? We overheard him (whoever is by the book shop if not him) last weekend as we sauntered by and I did have a good laugh.

We absolutely love Iris & Rose and try to hit 1 show a day.

I love the German Twins. I go watch them while hubby does the parade prep.

Zilch is high up there too. I've tried to introduce the phrase "Sad bituation" into my work world. They're still trying to figure it out a bit but it makes me laugh every time.

One Flaming Idiot has been great, as well as the rest of the when they were here for 1 weekend.

Saw Hey Nunnie Nunnie for the first time this year, and loved them. Can't wait till next year and hope to see more of them.

And lastly, Don Juan and Miguel.

angusmacinnes

Wine and Alchemy

Cast in Bronze

Don Juan and Miguel

Zilch

And the Joust this year what I have seen of it is great.
There are many places where compromise is expected;
LOYALTY is not amongst them.

cowgrrl

-Doktor Kaboom:  Great stage presense and hilarious.  My kids actually requested Doktor Kaboom as a birthday party theme this year.

-Stardancers Bellydancing:  Yes, I'm bias.  I've heard the drummers for the Memorial Day Saturday show are particularly good.   :P

-Human Chess Match:  I recommend this to anyone going to Scarby.  Its great entertainment & I love watching the Scarby virgins ask if the weapons are real. 

And, while its not a stage act, I could sit and watch the glassblowing demonstration all day.  Peter & Chris are a wealth of information & great people to boot.  We had a custom piece made by them this year & it is gorgeous & worth every penny & then some!

Al-Nimer

In no particular order:

Wine & Alchemy
Cast in Bronze
Don Juan and Miguel
Chess Match
Doktor Kaboom!
One Flaming Idiot (when there were 3 it was 4 times as good  ;D )
Royal Joust

And, while it's not technically a stage act, the Parade is fun to a) watch, as you get to see most of the cast and many playtrons & b) march in, as you get to see same lining up, as well as see a lot of patrons along the parade route.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam, Mythbusters

Bonny Pearl

I really want to see the fire whip show when we are back for Memorial!  I caught a glimpse of it and have it on my 'to do' list.

*Ab/Fab, lol!  I could just see an episode of those two at faire lmao!*
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Star Chamber

Adam Crack is gone. He was only there the first 4 weekends. It's Doktor Kaboom now.

LOOK OUT! SCIENCE IS COMING!!!!

Hercules

I had caught bits and pieces of the fire whip while enjoying a beer and fish-n-chips byt the Dirty Duck. Finally decided to catch the whole show on his last weekend. Glad I did. Very good show. And when he took his shirt off "For safety reasons" most of the ladies swoon.

Doktor Kaboom. "JAAAA!"

Zilch is a staple. I always leave there crying cause I laugh so hard.

Arsene the magician/mime is fun too. His interaction with the audience is good.   

Iris and Rose. Old McDonald's Deformed farm. 'Nuf said.

I caught Hey Nunnie-Nunnie on their one weekend. Hope they return next year.

Cast in Bronze never gets old to me. Love to while shopping in Dra/Wenches at Work.
Save the Earth (it's the only one with beer)!

J M Gryphon

1)mine homies the German Twins, I laugh so hard at their show...

2)Wine and Alchemy

3)Iris and Rose

4)Doktor Kaboom and his exploding science

5)Aurthur Homes (my face hurts after listening to him, (FUNNY FUNNY DIRTY STUFF)
Private First Class Queens own Highlanders
Wandering Green Wizard of Krunk
Jedi Master

angusmacinnes

I left off Birds of Prey it is a great learning experience.
There are many places where compromise is expected;
LOYALTY is not amongst them.

*Teach*

My "every time" list" in video form:

Iris and Rose (Not exactly safe for work)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3bYTpa0piU

Arthur Greenlead Holmes (Although this is his LEAST offensive- NSFW! )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fO8mu5mWPY

German Brothers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jztZ1fP_CqQ

And ok, they aren't a stage act but Twig and Noobler also!
Twig-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un4Iw3QwNVs&feature=related
Noobler (And co.)-http://www.youtube.com/user/x0xteachx0x#p/u/4/RazLq9tRvCE

These videos are only a glimpse of what being there is like. If you haven't seen them, go. If you have seen them... go again!

*Rum can also be used to enhance the performance on occasion*
*Got more Rum?* "Here, Try This!"
http://forums.wearephoenixrisen.com

SirRichardBear

Music acts (they are all great but these are the ones I'll stop at while walking past to hear a single song)
Iris and Rose if I have a sense of humor (doubtfull) it is low and Bawdy
The Moor of Dundee
Stonhenj
Bard O'Neill

Stage acts (again all of them are good but here are the stop for just to caught a piece of)
Doktor Kaboom
Zilch the Torysteller
Arsene
Stewart & Arnold
Don Juan and Miguel
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

Merlin the Elder

I'm partial to Iris and Rose, because I think I'm in love with Iris;
I'm also partial to the joust, because I think I'm in love with Queen Margaret;
I also liked the German Brothers, because I'm of German extraction and I think I'm in love with Iris and Queen Margaret.

But I'll have to try to let Iris and the Queen down easy...my wife said "No!"  :'( I hope they're not too disappointed!  ;)
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Merlin

I'm a bit partial to Motley Plaers III becuase I consider those guys friends of mine and my entire family loves imporvisational comedy...every show is different.

1 Flaming idiot.... seen his show 3 times so far...always very entertaining.

I can't remember the name of the silent magician.... seen him twice... VERY FUNNY show.

FireWhip guy .... not here any longer but that guy was awesome.

Dr. Kaboom of course.
Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making