News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Female Armor

Started by gypsylakat, May 30, 2008, 10:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gypsylakat

the leather does sound awesome lol but I think for my first one i'll just play with the knit... maybe. or do you think like a ribbony type stuff would work?
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

mieljolie

I got my leather on a huge spool (probably 20+ yds.) for $4 at a swap meet!  It is 1/2" dark brown (almost black) braided with the 1/2" braided orange/brown cord I used on the trim of my bodice.  Ugly together, but useful separated.  One of those great bargains we crafters can't pass up.  If you eventually want to try leather, I will share.  :)  For the weave I do, it will take about 2x whatever length you weave.  Estimating is pretty easy because the tabs are approximately 1/2" wide.  So, you would need 1-1.5" per tab give or take depending on the stretch.

If your going to use ribbon, which would be nice (And, I have seen others use it on belts.), I recommend filing the sharp edges completely smooth on the tabs or it may snag your ribbon.  That's what's nice about the fuzzy fabrics.  You can't snag it, and it pretty much covers any uneven edges.  I usually use needle-nose pliers to remove the big jaggies off the edges if they don't break off the can clean.  I've covered one of my pair with masking tape to prevent scatching the tabs.  A file for those tabs that are exposed wouldn't hurt.  I actually think not filing them all is better, because it catches the fabric and keeps it from sliding back and forth with wear, which may cut the fabric eventually.  Just a theory, though.

So, have you decided on a look, yet?  I'd love to see what you are planning.
Royal Order of Landsharks - Guppy No. 85

gypsylakat

honestly you're designs have me wanting to try the bodice look, and I may base the pattern off of the bodice I have already which is in three peices that lace at the front and sides..  I'm not sure though and the length may end up depending on how many tabs I end up with... I really wish we were still having fundraisers every week at the firehouse, I always helped with clean up and we got zillions, Which is how we helped out with my little sister's collection with the girl scouts...

mieljolie

No kidding.  We can't find enough around here to satify our needs.  We have been hitting everyone we know up for tabs.  I would ask the waitresses at bars and restaurants for them.  There are still a few small places around that sell drinks in cans.  A good sterilizing soak will clean them.  We also collect bottle caps to make bellydance coins/bells for belts.  That is actually how we started this.  Long story.  :)

If all else fails, bribe others by offering to make them a belt, necklace, or something that won't take too many.  I'm thinking about making favors.  I love that idea.  Has to be small, though.

gypsylakat

ok so I started trying this and I can't figure out why it's not working.. Instead of weaving and laying flat their basically just stringing on the ribbo, like how do I get the exact weaving to work? do I loop around the edges of the holes?

gypsylakat

also do I just do a row first and then join on another row? or do I do like 2 rows at a time to start???

mieljolie

For the starting row, you will actually be making 2 rows at the same time.  After that, you make one at a time.

gypsylakat

.... see that is how every chainmail site direction should be...

mieljolie

I'm a scribbler (Illustrator) by trade.  :)

Now that I'm sharing my chain maille secrets, I expect to see you post pictures of your progess in here.  Hehehe

gypsylakat

so far we got that. I'm using this ribbon stuff i got at micheals that reminds me of bias tape... like it's got three different sections in it and their going at different angles like this

\\//\\
\\//\\
\\//\\

o right i could just take a picture... but it didn't come out right...

link to my picasa site "http://picasaweb.google.com/silverytyger/SodaTabs

gypsylakat

mieljolie

Oh goody, a diary!  Thanks for the props, btw.

I tink it's called twill tape.

gypsylakat

gypsylakat

oops did it backwards!

mieljolie

Your progress in the diary is lookin' good.  You'll have that bodice done in no time!