News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

How to cut one long length of fabric???

Started by Auryn, December 19, 2011, 09:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auryn

I am hoping for an enlightening tip from one of you brilliant seamstresses

I need to cut multiple 6" tall strips of tulle from a 4 yd length of fabric.
so I need an end result that is 6" tall and 4 yards long
any tips for doing without having to mark the entire length of the fabric??
or having to stretch the whole thing out the length of the house???
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

gem

Any reason you can't use 6" tulle ribbon instead? (They carry loads of colors, metallics, etc, at Hobby Lobby, too.) I think it would make your life enormously easier.

(Last year Milord's mum got involved in a craft fair, crocheting tulle pot scrubbers, and the process she described to me of cutting the tulle yardage and knotting it together was so ridiculously fiddly that I knew there had to be a better way. So I went out and bought her a couple of 25-yard spools of tulle ribbon. Way easier!!)

Auryn

Problem is there are no hobby lobbys anywhere within a few hours drive of me and joanns doesnt carry it in store
havent found it at michaels yet either

Of course genious I am, I wanted to get this done to wear on christmas eve- ya so don't think thats gonna happen
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

CenturiesSewing

If you have a spare cardboard fabric bolt around you could carefully wrap the tulle around that, then slide part of it off one end and cut sections at a time. Kinda like cutting cinnamon rolls.

Captain Teague

A yardstick and a circular cutter might do it if you fold it in layers of 3 feet.
The Code is the Law...

Auryn

Thanks guys
I will give it a try
last night I went to bed defeated by the tulle

Kate XXXXXX

Rotary cutter, cutting mat, and 6"X24" quilting ruler.  I've done miles like this.

Auryn

brilliant Kate- I have all those things_ ill give it a shot when I get home

Kate XXXXXX

Is it tulle?  or dress net?  The latter is like sewing chicken wire...

Auryn

It was tulle.
I got lucky and found some of the precut stuff gem mentioned
spent 2 hours last night
got all the ruffling part no problem- the joining the layers together- brought me close to tears
im debating going back to the store and exchanging the tulle for some chiffon

I'm hoping that might make it easier since it has a little more body to it