News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Kilted Pirates

Started by Lord Figaro, October 09, 2008, 11:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Figaro

Hey DB, I found that kilted pirate you were talking about the other night and thought i'd share it with all the other pirates here.

Red Legs Greaves
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Red Legs" Greaves was a Scottish buccaneer active in the Caribbean and the West Indies during the 1670s. His nickname was based on a commonly used term for reddened legs often seen among the Scottish and Irish who took to wearing kilts in almost any kind of weather.

Although considered a successful pirate during his career, most notably his raid of Margarita in the mid 1670s, he is best known for his escape from Nevis prison during an earthquake in 1680.

More here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Legs_Greaves
Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes.

George Santayana

Angelhood

Cool! I love kilted pirates. Great info. Thanks!

Captain Jack Wolfe

Interestingly enough, this is the only documented example of a pirate wearing a kilt.  I've yet to find definitive evidence elsewhere of pirates wearing kilts as a matter of course.
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

RumbaRue

Well that's because females like me tend to be 'kilt inspectors'.
Being Blond means I have the right to walk into any wall.

Captain Jack Wolfe

That explains the leaf blower you carry around...  ;) :D
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Captain Kilian

Or the fact they had a lot of rigging to climb...and gods forbid a draft came along while dragging your half drunk carcass up the course hemp ropes *shudders*

Guess the captain didn't have to worry about that as much - just keeping the crew happy and not shooting him.
"I'd like to thank all the little people...that just never saw it coming." - Me
Royal Order of the Landshark, Guppy 14

dragongirl

Though the normal image is for the men to be stripped to the waist.  Atcually most seaman/sailors would drop trews, knot their oversized shirts between their legs and work that way.  It is not that different than wearing a kilt.  However, I don't know if I want the only thing between my personal bits and heavy scratchy hemp rope being a thin piece of cotton lawn material.   
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

Taffy Saltwater

Puts a whole new spin on 'rope burn", doesn't it?
Sveethot!

Blackjack Roberts

Me knees just slammed together with sonic force!! :o :o

Taffy Saltwater

I wondered where the sonic boom originated.
Sveethot!

DeadBishop

The way I see it, he was memorable enough that someone wrote about him.  I'd bet there were plenty of non-memorable kilted pirates that weren't written about. 

R/F.com member since 2003

Lord Figaro

I was wondering the exact same thing DB, it wouldn't surprise me a bit. Where there's one, there's usually more.
Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes.

George Santayana

Angelhood

I know I can't wait to see more of the U.S. Postal Service guys in kilts, anyone heard anything more on that one fellow getting kilts approved as official uniform for the U.S.P.S.?

Rani Zemirah

What??? Pirates... and kilts??? How have I missed this thread for so long??? Oh, and are there PICS???

LOL  ;D ::)  :P
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede