News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Hot Time in the Village

Started by bellevivre, August 28, 2009, 12:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bellevivre

So, we've decided that we WILL be at TRF opening weekend... but...

I don't do well in heat at all- I know it'll likely not be over 90, but hubby keeps kinda taunting me with his 'concerns' that I'll be able to cut it with it being so hot.

It's REALLY frustrating!

My plan is to wear all linen, have my hair up (either taped, or I have this nifty gauze that may work as an Italianate turban) and just keep pouring water on me as the day goes on... and probably buy a bodice chiller if I can find one there...

Any other suggestions?  (yes I have already read how not to get heat stroke at faire thread)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

KiltedPrivateer

Braid your hair - Consume large quantities of water - Watch all the shows that are shaded - Visit the prince of wales pub (its air conditioned) when you get too hot - Bring gatorade (Actually I think they sell gatorade now inside)

If I think of more I'll add on.
Member of Clan Procrastination
Crew of the Procrastinator
Lover of Lady Kitara

*Teach*

Hang out with my Lovely Lady... she is a pro when it comes to knowing about heat exhaustion
Our first date (at faire), she got overheated... very overheated... I suggested she eat something, she did... we sat on a nice cool bench... she then threw up and passed out on me.
She figured if she can throw up and pass out on me, and me not leave... I was a keeper.

Seriously speaking though... she really knows about heat... a lot. She has long been very sensitive to it and knows tons of ways to keep from over doing it.

*rum never makes me overheat... it's a good thing too*
*Got more Rum?* "Here, Try This!"
http://forums.wearephoenixrisen.com

Hercules

Try wearing long sleeved cotton. The trick is to capture your body's natural coolant (sweat) in something breathable so it can do it's job of cooling you off but not evaporate too quickly.

Try salt tablets. I'll warn ya that these do make some people smell funky.

You sound like a marvel at sewing. You can make yourself a Rennie neck cooler. Basically take a hankerchief (garb appropriate of course), fold and sew it around some polymere beads (find at garden centers) and then put it in the fridge before heading out.   
Save the Earth (it's the only one with beer)!

Lady Laura

Don't forget to take a parasol and a fan.  They are both practical and dress up a lady's garb as well!
"Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk."
-Sir Francis Chichester

Hercules

Wait a minute. "Bodice chiller"?  ??? Won't that make things a bit......nippy?

bellevivre

Herc- are you REALLY complaining about that???

Also- yes, have a parasol- need to rig a gauntlet to hold it in like LadyElizabeth uses. have two fans, as well (usually wear either green or blue, so i have choices...)
Belle the Kat

Mouse

Any ladies who would like some improvised yet effective cool down methods...I offer my services...A swig of peppermint schnapps for the ladies, I shall apply some water to the area that ails you and then blow a refreshing breeze on you if you wish...just as a friendly service of course. Keep in mind I shall have to be no less than three inches away at all times and may smell of cloves and excitement, so be warned. Also, I can be paid in compliments, mead, and shiny baubles. The...chest area is my specialty. I hear I come highly recommended, but I'm my own publicist so I wouldn't trust that guy..just see for yourselves.
Wee, sleekit, cow'rin, tim'rous beastie

"MOUSE,n. "Animalistic man-child which strews it's path with fainting woman"....less so these days :)

Hercules

Quote from: bellevivre on August 28, 2009, 03:22:28 PM

No complaints just never heard of such a thing.

A bodice chiller?

Is it a little A/C unit that goes under the goodies or what?

bellevivre

no, but i HAVE dreamed of an under-corset liquid radiation system... no, it's essentially a metal tube that goes between them and is filled with ice or a cold liquid.
Belle the Kat

Taffy Saltwater

Quote from: Hercules on August 28, 2009, 03:32:45 PM
Quote from: bellevivre on August 28, 2009, 03:22:28 PM

No complaints just never heard of such a thing.

A bodice chiller?

Is it a little A/C unit that goes under the goodies or what?

Betwixt and between, darling.  If you're ever at TRF, ask to see mine - I double dog dare you.
Sveethot!

Hercules

Quote from: bellevivre on August 28, 2009, 03:35:39 PMit's essentially a metal tube that goes between them and is filled with ice or a cold liquid.

Sounds more like a boobcicle then a bodice chiller.  ;D

bellevivre

ummm... I'll not say what it really sounds like to me, save that it involves Spike from Buffy and the notion that Vampires much have cold.... hands...
Belle the Kat

KiltedPrivateer

Hmmm I may have to invest in one for my little bodice filler.  Do they sell them at faire or does one have to scour the inter-webs?
Lover of Lady Kitara

KiltedPrivateer

Oh no - Another Buffy Fan - You and my wife will bond, I can already see it (o:
Lover of Lady Kitara