News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Do you accent?

Started by gypsylakat, February 05, 2009, 11:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fortryllelsestudios

My friends son sounds just like John Lennon..  Its hilarous.

DonaCatalina

I do an accent about 75% of the time, most especially around cast. I'd like to see more people attempt role playing and using an accent. I think it can be a lot of fun and add to the illusion of being a different person.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Mairte

Sigh. I dont, I couldnt do an accent to save my life probably...

lys1022

Quote from: Mairte on February 11, 2011, 03:28:09 PM

Let me know if you visit Scarby and I promise you that within 30 minutes at a table, I can get you into some kind of an accent. :)
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.

Lady Kett

If I'm around an accent for a few days straight I will start to pick it up. Not necessarily well, mind you! I  spent two days in Canada and came back with a lot of "Dontcha know, eh?" in my conversation. The waitress at our local hangout said I sounded like Sarah Palin, LOL. I need to go up for a week at the end of the month so there's no telling what I'll come back with!

But BFA...not so much. It's not so constant that I can pick it up. I wish I could tho!

Lady Rebecca

What does BFA stand for?

Lady Kett

Basic Faire Accent...I think...rudimentary Olde English for Faire, as I understand it anyway.

Mairte

lys1022, its a deal! Hopefully someday I will make it to Scarby.

McGuinness

From my experience, a lot of people who say "I cant do an accent, I sound silly" just haven't pushed themselves far enough. To some extent, you have to sound silly before you can sound good - it doesn't just happen. Its like quitting learning to walk the first time you fall down. There are basic changes from our English to any English-with-an-accent that you just need to practice until they become second nature. I was British Country, then Irish, then British Upper Class before I became a Swede on cast last year and I was definitely heavy on the Swedish Chef dialect while I was teaching myself that dialect - it still comes out when I'm trying to figure out how to say something!

Just keep practicing if you want to use a dialect or accent, it'll come. Vocabulary changes alone help, but those need practice too so they come out instead of the modern words or phrases.

crashbot

I was born in Ireland, grew up there until I was 6, and spent every summer there until I was 17 and have no accent whatsoever and cannot fake one to save my life. I can pick a fake out in less than a second though, lol.

I do a decent German, but sometimes ends up sounding a bit  "Sprockets", if anyone remembers that.
Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices. - Voltaire

crazyrennie

I miss Sprockets
I normally do an Irish accent(county Cork from what my mum said).

BagPipeBabe

Quote from: lys1022 on February 11, 2011, 06:42:52 PM
Quote from: Mairte on February 11, 2011, 03:28:09 PM

Let me know if you visit Scarby and I promise you that within 30 minutes at a table, I can get you into some kind of an accent. :)

Hey! I will take you up on that. If it's ok??

lys1022

Quote from: BagPipeBabe on February 14, 2011, 10:57:25 PM

You are totally on.  Though if you want a Scots, we'll have to have my hubby there.  He does a much better job with that than I do.   :)
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.

BagPipeBabe

Quote from: lys1022 on February 14, 2011, 11:20:01 PM
Quote from: BagPipeBabe on February 14, 2011, 10:57:25 PM

You are totally on.  Though if you want a Scots, we'll have to have my hubby there.  He does a much better job with that than I do.   :)

I would be happy with a BFA.

Lady Deborah

I may have a slight unfair advantage, having close British family, but I actually give more credit to Monty Python, Are You Being Served, BlackAdder, etc.  Listen, repeat, listen, repeat.