News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

When was your 1st time at Scarborough Faire?

Started by Love Good Wood, January 13, 2009, 08:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Love Good Wood

I just want to thank everyone who read and replied to my post... After being gone from the faire for 22 years I had forgotten how much it meant to me. I am happy to be back and hope to meet you all this season!

Thanks, Eric

Queen_of_Navarre

Wayback in 1981 I went out alone to *check out* the Faire. I got lost and never found it that day. Later, with a map in hand, my husband and three small children *found* the faire.
The next year we help out our shire Elfsea with their S.C.A. demonstrations. Back then Scarborough would let anyone in free that arrived in costume.  By the next year I was working for Patty Breeding, a wonderful fantasy artist, in her Moon Dragon Booth.  Her booth faced the jousting field and was wretchedly hot in the afternoon as the sun slanted in. By the next season Patty acquired a lovely A frame booth near the creek right next to the psychic. There to the right of Angel's Crossing Bridge it was a lovely site with cool breezes and plenty of shade. The Moon Dragon Booth is no longer there, I believe there is a pavilion set up there now with the ever popular masseuses.  My daughter worked for Mimsy for years, my boys picked up arrows, so they grew up there and still say that the positive, creative environment has helped to shaped their lives
Reyna Marguerite Regina d'Navarre
Royal Order of Landsharks #45
Keeper of the Hairless Cats
Artist of Crescent Moon

Ronald the Bald

1994 or 1995 a friend who was living with me at the time convinced me to go with her. At the end of the day I decided to get a season pass. Had some form of season pass every year since then. I had her make some simple garb for me. Now I have a walk-in closet full of garb.

1997 I worked for one of the vendors. That year and the first year at Hawkwood were the only times I have ever been paid to work at a faire. I still work a lot, but it is just for fun now.

My descriptions and pictures of Scarborough were part of how I convinced my wife to move here and marry me in 1998.

Lady Katherine

Our first year at Scarborough was the 2008 season.  I had taken my husband to TRF the previous November for his birthday, and we had so much fun, we decided to buy FOF passes at Scarby.  Opening weekend, we fell in love with it.  By Mothers Day weekend, we also had my brother, my mother, and all of our chldren and their spouses hooked. 

Casche

The first time I went was in 1990, I was two and we had just moved to Texas. My mom had worked at living history farms and brought me with her to work almost everyday, so it just seemed natural to take me  :)  I started belly dancing later on and even made a small profit ($2!!) one time when I performed with the Wings (on the big stage! Best time of my life!)  This year, my bf (whose on cast) says he's going to try to get me a... I forget what it's called... but it's like the special pass so I can come backstage with him and all, heh.  I'm super excited!!  And so is he because he's not Royal Guard this year and under his father's scrutiny all day long  ;D

RenRobin

My first visit was in May of 2005 I believe, but it was a record breaking day for heat up to 106 that day and folks much smaller and in better shape than myself were dropping like flies from heat and dehydration....have not been back since. 

We swore we would go back but in early April rather than in May at anytime.  I would love to go opening weekend this year, we will be starting our vacation and that would be a fun way to start it. ;D
Loki-terr (in training)

Aiacha

Quote from: RenRobin on January 26, 2009, 05:21:11 PM
My first visit was in May of 2005 I believe, but it was a record breaking day for heat up to 106 that day and folks much smaller and in better shape than myself were dropping like flies from heat and dehydration....have not been back since. 

Heh...I remember that day.  Me and a couple friends had driven up from Houston, met a friend from Plano there.  My friends threw in the towel early, the friend from Plano and I gave it a little more time, but in the end would up hiding in the hotel until that evening, when we went to Medieval Times.

RenRobin

Quote from: Aiacha on January 27, 2009, 02:01:46 PM

Heh...I remember that day.  Me and a couple friends had driven up from Houston, met a friend from Plano there.  My friends threw in the towel early, the friend from Plano and I gave it a little more time, but in the end would up hiding in the hotel until that evening, when we went to Medieval Times.
We wandered from shade tree to shade tree and spent atleast $30 on bottled water alone.  We hung it up about 1:30 just as another ambulance was pulling in to take someone else to the hospital for heat related problems.
Loki-terr (in training)

DonaCatalina

We swore we would go back but in early April rather than in May at anytime.  I would love to go opening weekend this year, we will be starting our vacation and that would be a fun way to start it. ;D

I remember that day. It was my daughter's birthday. I think we were each wearing a gallon of water in our corsets.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

RenRobin

Quote from: DonaCatalina on January 29, 2009, 01:25:40 PM

I remember that day. It was my daughter's birthday. I think we were each wearing a gallon of water in our corsets.

We stood under the misters God only knows how long...until the clothes were saturated and we could walk about without passing out.
Loki-terr (in training)

Rani Zemirah

Oh boy... I'm thinking of making Memorial weekend of this year my first visit, but I'll be petitioning the Gods for cooler temperatures than that, or I may never make it out of the hotel room!   :o
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Martin Montgomery

;D Way to go Rani! If you get to make it I can Cash in on all those ((((Hugs!!))))
Half the man I used to be!! 
Landshark#79      
Member of Culloden Moor

Rani Zemirah

Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Yennefer

I think it was 2004.. I didnt fo back for a few years as my firends did not want to drive this far anymore ( we live in Austin) but after I met my hubby, we were back in 2006.. last year we got married  on April 12 in a rose garden in Scarby ; our wedding photos were added to wedding pages of www.scarboroughrenfest.com  which I am extremely proud of :)

We are definitely coming on April 12th this year to celebrate our 1 year anniversary :) Hope to meet yaal there

Yenn
Yennefer von Vengerberg

SirRichardBear

[quote author=Yennefer last year we got married  on April 12 in a rose garden in Scarby ; our wedding photos were added to wedding pages of www.scarboroughrenfest.com  which I am extremely proud of :)
Yenn
[/quote]

Then we have kinda all ready meet since the QOH does the wedding arc and I don't think I missed a wedding last year.  Glad we could be of service.
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin