News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What will you be having for Christmas Dinner

Started by DonaCatalina, December 15, 2008, 08:11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyShadow

Quote from: Tygrkat33 on December 22, 2008, 10:37:30 AM
Quote from: Rani Zemirah on December 18, 2008, 11:51:22 PM
... Methodist pudding (most amazing dessert in the Universe!!!)...

Is it made from actual Methodists?  ;)

Really, I am curious. I was raised Methodist, and I wasn't aware of any pudding. I feel like I was short-changed now!  :P

I agree.  I'm a Methodist as well and have never heard of this.  Do I need to go run and hide now  ??? :o :-[?
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Rani Zemirah

LOL... well, I wouldn't want to eat actual Methodists... I'd probably never be able to dance again!!! (J/K... please, no flaming torches!!!)

It starts with a flour and crushed walnut crust that is pre-baked, then alternating layers of chocolate pudding, vanilla pudding, sweetened cream cheese and whipped cream, with chopped walnuts sprinkled in between, then refrigerated over night to allow the layers to "marry"... mmmmm...

My grandmother (who is a Methodist) makes this for every holiday! I think it's their replacement for sex... and it could almost work!!! (but only almost...  ::) )
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

LadyShadow

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on December 22, 2008, 11:56:22 AM
LOL... well, I wouldn't want to eat actual Methodists... I'd probably never be able to dance again!!! (J/K... please, no flaming torches!!!)

It starts with a flour and crushed walnut crust that is pre-baked, then alternating layers of chocolate pudding, vanilla pudding, sweetened cream cheese and whipped cream, with chopped walnuts sprinkled in between, then refrigerated over night to allow the layers to "marry"... mmmmm...

My grandmother (who is a Methodist) makes this for every holiday! I think it's their replacement for sex... and it could almost work!!! (but only almost...  ::) )

That actually sounds good. 

Where are the rules that say Methodist cant dance?   :o???  I thought that was the Baptist?  ??? Do I need to go back through the lessons and ways of the Methodist again?  :( :-\

Rani Zemirah

I am not even getting into that discussion on here!!!  LOL

(no religion, no politics!!!)

Desserts should be exempt from religious names!
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

LadyShadow

I agree they should be.  Too much confusion there.

Tygrkat

lol, I'm a 'recovering' Methodist (no offense to any actual Methodists that may be present, just not my bag)- definitely no offense taken, and I only wield my torches for 'good' not for 'evil'  ;)

{of course, good and evil are subjective terms, aren't they....and I agree, let's keep religion out of our desserts  ;D}

That sounds positively luxurious...I think I shall have to attempt a batch sometime...

I'm not sure I would go that far, but having never tried it I could be wrong....now if there was chocolate involved, that's a whole different matter....

*back to the topic*

We'll be with my Husband's family, and we'll have some sort of dinner xmas eve, and then xmas day we're having a bunch of appetizers and then subs, chili, soup...things like that - I'll probably bring some cookies or banana bread, both if I get really ambitious...
50% Endora, 50% Aunt Clara.

LadyShadow

Quote from: Tygrkat33 on December 22, 2008, 12:42:29 PM

*back to the topic*

We'll be with my Husband's family, and we'll have some sort of dinner xmas eve, and then xmas day we're having a bunch of appetizers and then subs, chili, soup...things like that - I'll probably bring some cookies or banana bread, both if I get really ambitious...

Ooohhhh... which type of cookies?  I'm thinking of making some No Bake Oatmeal cookies for "Santa" this year.  But I'm not sure.  So I'm looking for other ideas/ options

Rani Zemirah

I'm not sure I would go that far, but having never tried it I could be wrong....now if there was chocolate involved, that's a whole different matter....

Ummm... hello??? Chocolate pudding???  LOL
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

RumbaRue

I'm making gumbo!

I bought a small book when I was in New Orleans earlier this year and it shows how to make different gumbos. I tried one back in August and it came out better than any of the restaurants we ate at there. Just amazing how good it came out, course I followed suit with the book saying to keep different broths and combine them. So I've got my shrimp broth (made with the shells), beef, chicken stored in the freezer until needed and it will be another winning meal. Especially since rain and cold is being forecasted for here come Christmas.
Being Blond means I have the right to walk into any wall.

Tygrkat

Quote from: LadyShadow on December 22, 2008, 12:45:13 PM

*back to the topic*

Ooohhhh... which type of cookies?  I'm thinking of making some No Bake Oatmeal cookies for "Santa" this year.  But I'm not sure.  So I'm looking for other ideas/ options

I heard a recipe on NPR for Chocolate Crinkle Cookies {it's on their website, NPR(dot) org} that I'm looking forward to trying - they're a soft chocolate cookie rolled in sugar and then confectioner's sugar before baking. The regular sugar helps the cookie stay soft & chewy on the inside, and prevents the confectioner's sugar from soaking in so the 'crinkle' effect is more dramatic looking, as the coating will 'crack' and chocolate shows through the sugar coating.

Tygrkat

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on December 22, 2008, 12:48:15 PM

Where was my head that I missed it?  ???

...add a layer of chocolate shavings on top of the crushed walnut layers.....

Oh yeah...  ;D

LadyDracolich

I'll be making a super delicious apple pie and my internationally famous pound cake. Hehehe.... Yummy... ;)
I don't know what you've heard, none of it is factual, but it's all true.

Zoë

Christmas dinner is....leftovers from Christmas Eve dinner!

We always have friends and family over for an "open house" on Christmas Eve, and my mom always puts out a ton of food...so whatever is left over (most of it) gets eaten on Christmas Day.  I guess it's the result of growing up with 5 brothers...my mom is used to putting out loads of food! 

I am making my soon-to-be-famous pumpkin spice bars, though.  Cream cheese frosting and everything.  A house favorite for 3 years now yay!
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Rani Zemirah

Quote from: Tygrkat33 on December 22, 2008, 12:54:46 PM
Quote from: Rani Zemirah on December 22, 2008, 12:48:15 PM

Where was my head that I missed it?  ???

...add a layer of chocolate shavings on top of the crushed walnut layers.....

Oh yeah...  ;D

Opps... I completely forgot the chocolate shavings!!! They really are supposed to be there, too!!!  LOL
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

maelstrom0370

Quote from: LadyShadow on December 22, 2008, 12:09:40 PM
Where are the rules that say Methodist cant dance?   :o???  I thought that was the Baptist?  ??? Do I need to go back through the lessons and ways of the Methodist again?  :( :-\

I thought she was referring to the fact that she'd be too stuffed after eating a whole Methodist to dance.  ::)
Well...that was my take on it anyways.  :P