News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Faire Favors and Tokens

Started by Magister, May 12, 2008, 09:03:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grov

A slight alteration would be good to distiguish the first and second versions.
I hope my life is an epic tale that ends well and everyone likes to read. --Grovdin Dokk

Blushing

Cobalt, those are awesome!  A friend has promised to teach me about working with pewter during the local faire run, but I don't think I'll have the nerve to share photos of what I manage to make!

Anna - I can't recall every seeing something like a tie tack with holes ... pins with plain bar backs usually have holes in them (Hobby Lobby sells them in packages, often on sale) and some craft stores sell pins the don't have a  coil - it's just a loop.  There are also pins that are made to dangle charms and such (http://www.jewelrysupply.com/jewelry_findings/base_metal/kilt_pins.html).  And headpins would work to dangle them from - and they're fairly easy to find.

eloquent - Depends on what you want to do!  My faire favors this year are very "Colorado" with the snowflake, and I decided to pass them out in Colorado anyways, even if they were more fitting for California.  Last year I used different colored inks on the favors I gave atr my home faire and the faires I visited.

I should explain ... this year my faire favors were simple, I'll try to take a photo to post.  I found small smooth-edged glass tiles at Hobby Lobby, and stamped an almost-Celtic snowflake on them with a StazOn ink.  Then I added a clear coat of modge podge (which ended up being a bit sticky, so next time I'll find another kind of sealer).
~All human activity lies within the artist's scope~

Anna Iram

Thanks for the feedback Blushing and Grov. I'll have to poke about in Michaels and JoAnns ad see what they have. The bar pin with the holes might do the trick...

Eloquent I've seen some peoples favors that remain essentially the same each year with a small change that might commemorate a particular gathering or the years date. You could certainly change them completly though if you'd like.

mieljolie

Eloquent, a slight change might be nice, but your favors were very pretty the way they were.  Of course, If you go changing them too much, everyone you have already given one to will want another.  ;)

I need to get me rear in gear, again, and make some more of mine.  Is it already June????  My goodness!
Royal Order of Landsharks - Guppy No. 85

Duckie84

I have plans to make favors that will go with my steampunk outfit, so a special edition for first time favor. Just have to get a toaster oven and get started.
What does the color blue taste like?

CapnFayeCutler

I keep changing mine year to year, but I think I've hit something solid. I have the sheep/ship wheels from 2008 that I like to give out to general folks (mainly bc I STILL have a ton of the parts to make them), but I also have the oh-so-fabulous message in a bottle favors that I like to give to people who are special to me. So far it's mostly been Castleteers getting those, but I plan on giving out more. Then there's also the little rum bottle ones, but those only go to very few people as I am willing to part with a very little bit of my Pyrat rum. ;) Anyways, here you go:

Slack'n Penny -  Chieftess, Clan Byrne of the IPB
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575
RoOL 26 | Castleteer | ETTE

Bonny Pearl

wow these favors are really inspiring!  i wonder if i can get in a crafty vibe and come up with somethin'..... ::)

so on average, how many favors does everyone usually make for faire?  i've never made them before and my craft skills are a bit lacking.
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Tammy

Everytime I think of something I check this forum again...and someone else has made something similar!! I can't think of anything original! Ugh. I need something that deals with raccoons I think...
Royal Protector of Raccoons, Mistress of the Poi, Best Friend of Windland/Nim, Guppy, Seamstress for The Feisty Lady.

Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard

Would someone post a link for those little bottles, Thanks.
MDRF Dandy  "Delfinia DuSwallow"
Sun'n Penny - Clan O'Morda
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples

eloquentXI

It depends on how many you want to give out, Bonny, I mean you want to give out a limited amount at a certain time, think about how many people you want to give said to. I know at first I made a list...and then starting giving them out. And ran out. And then made more. And ran out again. I think I made another round of favors, and am about to run out. The first round was...probably thirty or so...then between the second and the third, there had to be at least another thirty to forty.

With many coming for the invasion on All Hallows Eve, I know I'm going to have to made another round...but then again, this is just what I do.
Still Meggers, just a little more grown up now. :)

Ozium

Here is what i came up for this years favours, All on a cord and sealed for use. I almost
need to go into production now. Even gave one to Woody from the Crown and Feather,
it's a perfect size for him.

Home Faire:Sterling
Clan O'Doinn-Irish Penny Brigade (New York)
Carpenter of the good ship Medusa.
Foktop Knight
Clan Vogdis

Tammy

Royal Protector of Raccoons, Mistress of the Poi, Best Friend of Windland/Nim, Guppy, Seamstress for The Feisty Lady.

Ozium

They are 1 1/8th " tall and i have not measured but if they hold 1/2 oz. i bet it's alot. It is the
first week of Sterling and i have given 20 away and everyone is having a blast playing with them.
Even been suggested that i start making them to sell, but that would ruin the spirit and fun
of making them i think. Would rather make and gift, means more to both then.

Foktop Knight
Clan Vogdis

Rani Zemirah

Well... I've started designing a new favor for the SteamPunk invasion of TRF also, and I'm hoping to actually start them soon.  I've got my Ren favors started already, but with so many projects in the works it's going to take all the time I have between now and All Hallows to get everything finished!!!  

I love everyone's work, btw, and have lurked here for a very long time squirreling away ideas for my own favors, so thanks, everyone, for being my muse/s...   :D

Oz, I'm so excited to finally see the finished product!!!  I know you've been developing the idea since this winter, and they turned out to be absolutely amazing!!!  Good show!!!

CB, I adore the new pin... and I may just have to buy one!  The A Faire Lover will always be my favorite though... just because it was given with such kindness...  :)
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Ozium

Thanks Rani, everyone is enjoying them, and that's what matters. Folks are
having great fun with them.
Foktop Knight
Clan Vogdis