News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Boning

Started by damsel58, July 22, 2008, 09:35:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PurpleDragon

I agree that it SHOULD be the fabric and cut of the garment offering the support, however too many times when working with a customer, they choose the wrong fabric for the garment.  They being the customer are right of course, but I know that it won't work as it should, so I have to add more boning so they can actually get the support needed.  (Not necessarily from my Faire customers, but those in the dark world of the fetish).
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

verymerryseamstress

Quotetoo many times when working with a customer, they choose the wrong fabric for the garment.

That's exactly why I have a strict policy against customer-supplied materials.   ;)
I'm your very merry seamstress.  How may I help you?

PurpleDragon

Quote from: verymerryseamstress on July 23, 2008, 12:15:06 PM
Quotetoo many times when working with a customer, they choose the wrong fabric for the garment.

That's exactly why I have a strict policy against customer-supplied materials.   ;)

I do of course try and persuade them that they are not going to be happy with that particular fabric as that particular garment.  That tends to work MOST of the time, but there are those that for some reason think they know better than the person who does actually know how to sew a garment. ~shrug~ They'll learn when they have to come back and pay for an entirely NEW piece to be made because they did not heed my warnings the first time around.
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

operafantomet

Quote from: PurpleDragon on July 23, 2008, 11:31:37 AM
Call me a purist.. but I use NOTHING but steel boning in my corsets.  Most of my customers are rather well endowed ladies and well, lets say they can use a bit of extra support or "hold-in" in some areas. ;)
:P

I tend to use rigilene for most of my bodices, but maybe I should try cable ties next time.

Come to think of it, I've used hemp boning two times as well, and I adore it. So comfortable, so easy, so period-looking.

Margaret

I am an all steel boning kind of girl too.  However, I am lucky.  I live close enough to a store that sells it, so I have it readily available.
Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

"Boning - be it steel or cord or plastic cable ties (I ADORE the cable ties, personally!) - just keeps things smooth and in place, and offers a bit of support and structure.  The majority of the support should be coming from the cut of the bodice/corset rather than the boning." 

Excellent observation!!

I like to use some boning, via Cable Ties in Bodices, for structure support. There's nothing more unflattering than a bodice that is puckery and bunchy that does not fit well on the body. I learned that with the first set of garb I made eons ago.

I have learned a lot since then through research, observations, asking questions, etc.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Orphena

I prefer steel, personally, and I have bought from farthingales.com - I have used cable ties, and they are easier to purchase, but I LOVE my steel boned corset. I find to get the same amount of rigidity from the big cable ties, you almost have to put 2 in each channel - which does make it thicker that a single, heavier bone. Of course, the advantage to cable ties is that they can by cut to the required length, and I wouldn't want to try that wth the steel ones I have purchased. I just make a mockup, and order steel bones in the correct lengths.

Luxurious Lady ~ Statuesque Seamstress ~ Winsome Wayfarer
Enjoyer of Elegant Elizabethan Ensembles

PurpleDragon

I have bought numerous times from farthingales.com and have always been happy with my purchases.  They have a great selection.
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove