News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Received new Pirate hat..but too big, what can I do?

Started by remission, June 26, 2008, 06:45:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

remission

I purchased a new Pirate hat I had made for me by Pyrate Leatherworx, but it is like a half inch or so too big so moves around on my head a lot.. Its mainly big on the outer edges. I tried a scarf but it still moves around too much.

I have some of that foam weatherstripping  I got from Home Depot, that I used to resize my top hat, it works well, however it doesnt stick really at all and is mainly held on by pressure and will most likely fall off..but I am scared to use a glue on it , I dont want it to leak through or ruin it..

It is a felt hat, stiffined with some acrylic stuff.

Any ideas?

gypsylakat

waterstripping is going to be waterproof though won't it? and hot, and sweaty?
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

mieljolie

I'm no expert on felt, but shouldn't you be able to add felt to the inside?  Just a thought.  It clings to itself.  Maybe look up "how to's" on felting.
Royal Order of Landsharks - Guppy No. 85

Morgan Dreadlocke

Does the hat have a sweatband sewn into it? If not , steal one from a cheap straw hat.
My intentions are to commandeer a venue, sail to Tortuga, then pick, strum and otherwise play me weasily black guts out.

Once Debauched

I have a felt hat from Pyrate Leatherworks too and apparently I'm a pin head because mine was too large as well.  After the hat kept sitting on my glasses and eventually bending them which lead to the frame breaking  I did two things to help with the hat - and they work!

1.  Head scarf - Because you can't make the hat smaller you have to make your head bigger.  Don't just use a standard bandanna, but get a REALLY large square or triangle.  Put the long edge across the front of your head with the point in back.  Twist the ends and circle your head crossing them in the back and then tucking them in when you run out of material.  I found a really good illustration of this using a large scarf and grosgrain ribbon, but the link is saved at work and I can't seem to locate it. Until I find and post it this link will give you an idea.  It's the same thing only in reverse - the point at the front as opposed to the back. http://www.kangausa.com/tie,traditionalheadwrap.htm

2.  Buy a foam sheet, the type you would fill a cushion with, and cut a long strip - enough to go around the inside of your hat.   Cut it so you have a wide edge and a narrow edge running the length of the strip - like a long V.  Figure out where the strip needs to be placed inside the hat and hot glue it with the thicker edge to the top this way it accommodates the shape of your head better. 

*The advantages of using hot glue are:  A. It dries quick  B. It hold fairly well   C.  It doesn't soak through the felt of your hat.  D. If you need to remove it at a later time you can pull or scrape it off the hat.
IWG  #3527 Local 29
IFRP #1228 Loblolly Lass, HMS Lying Bastard
FOKTOP
ROoL #29
Tequila:  The interactive shot

daylight

I would go to walmart and buy at hat that the eslastic band in it and take it out of the walmart hat and put in your new hat. It should fit nicely to your head. Just my two cents  ;D

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

You can also try using the weather stripping with Grosgrain ribbon found at any fabric store. 1 1/4" wide should suffice. Have the weather stripping glued  between two pieces of ribbon as one is hot glued to the inside of the hat.

I have had to do that in a pinch when I worked at the Costume shop. Worked wonders.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Once Debauched

I found the link I wanted here at work!  Yay me!  It's specifically for a woman's head wrap which is very big and bulky, but you don't have to make it as bulky as is shown.  It's a great way to make adjustments for your lack of head girth!

http://www.floridafrontier.com/16th%20Century%20folder/16%20Century%20Pages%20folder/16th%20Century%20Page%209.html

I'm wearing something similar under my hat in the avatar pic to the left.
IWG  #3527 Local 29
FOKTOP
ROoL #29

LadyOren

If you want to be daring and try this, you can also dip the hat in hot water.  Since it's felt it will shrink.
When I'm gone look for me beneath your boots, for I have returned to the ground from which I came.   Walt Whitman

Once Debauched

Quote from: LadyOren on July 01, 2008, 05:05:43 PM
If you want to be daring and try this, you can also dip the hat in hot water.  Since it's felt it will shrink.

The felt hats from Pyrate Leatherworks are treated with a type of resin, making them stiff and a bit heavy, so I'm not sure this will work.  It may do nothing or it could put the hat out of shape.
IWG  #3527 Local 29
FOKTOP
ROoL #29

Cobaltblu

Get a long piece of fabric and roll it up like a thick bandanna and put it around your head and put the hat over that.

Regards,

CB
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.

Kate XXXXXX

Sew a lightly padded cotton band inside the hat.  You should be able to do this without it showing on the outside if you use a curved upholstery needle.

HannahLeeDee

I've used the previously mentioned bandanna trick for both stage and fest.

remission

Thanks for the advice, I took some weatherstripping from Home Depot and cut it to fit, it works pretty well. The foam eventually gets too flat and I might have to change it but it works for now. They offered to take it back and resize it for free but I guess Il just deal with it.