News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What keeps you going?

Started by saphire_glade, September 16, 2010, 06:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saphire_glade

I don't know about the rest of you but here we are going into weekend #5! We have been at this for four straight weekends, and I haven't had a day I didn't work since August 15th *as I have my normal monday to friday 7:45 to 4:15*.

And I was wondering what do you all use as either motivation or energy to get up these last few cold weekends?

I know for me, a ton of oatmeal always helps in the morning followed by a healthy does of little kid giggles, a crepe, some sunshine, and then a lot of hugs farewell.
Bubbles are pure magic... if you don't believe me watch any man, woman, or child chase a bubble down the road.

groomporter

The family in the form of the shop help who slave for us year after year for just a pass, food and a staff T-shirt (and maybe some credit for our games depending on our sales that year), and the community of wonderful people the wife and I have gotten to know over the years.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Kiss-me-Kate

I get plenty of sleep/rest during the week, including most "fest nights."  I veg out after I get home from work on Mondays. 
The rest of the week, I try to prepare a little each night-i.e pack up this, wash that, etc. so I am not overwhelmed and up until really late on Friday night doing it anyways.

I work with the best people I know, so Fest is an absolute joy and blast this year.   It makes my happy place, even better.   (I had been lacking in Fest spirit the past few years.)

That is what gets me through the week.
~ Notouchin' M'Crack
Pucker Up!

Toarmod

I think I'm just a playtron in disguise ;). Working out there is just something I've always wanted to do. I get to be a part of fest and also help out people while I'm at it.  Fest has always captivated me. Most Saturday mornings as I walk up from the pit I can actually feel the work week worth of tension drop off my shoulders and when I walk through the gate I just feel... relaxed. All that being said I'm not working cannon to cannon, I get time to play. It might be more difficult if I  had to be "on" all day.

William_MacKean

Working with friends/family.  With a lot of my friends, this is the only time I get to see them.  I employ as many as possible so that they have a chance to make some tip money (they are not paid unless Fest gives bonus money).  It is a balancing act, tho.  Employing too many cuts serving time and tips.  I had to let one fella go this year already, due to low sales and his dementia.

In the end, it is the $$.  If I were only breaking even, I would not be as likely to do this every year.  If I were losing money...  I'm outta there.  My time is no longer free or cheap.

saphire_glade

@ William:

I don't think fest ever gives away any money for free ever. As this fairy right here works for free. Most years I don't even break even.

@ Toarmod:

Being on all day is hard. But yeah there is something relaxing about it... well nothing relaxing about that hike up from the pit.... but the being there. I mean I physically work hard but it is very relaxing to work like that. I use a lot of my brains at work Monday to Friday... it is nice just to be able to giggle and be me... *I am so not the business causaul professional that I am supposed to be*

But @everyone:

These are fantastic things. I agree on most of them. One of these days my frantic friday night costume fiascos will stop, I will finally be happy with it, not offer to make my sister her fairy-selfs outfit *thats right, one day my sister will join me as a nearly matching but not so much fairy*

And then people will stop eating stupid food that makes them sick.... and my life won't end up with 14 hour work days in the middle!
Bubbles are pure magic... if you don't believe me watch any man, woman, or child chase a bubble down the road.

Capt. Bacardi

Beer from a MUFFIN!!!  8)
BLOODY HELL!!!!
..It is only a flesh wound..
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Muffin

A Captains Wench

It's always Beer:30 here....

*sigh* So many kilts, so little time......

Ette

NugBlazer

Drinking lots of beer, lots of pretty women and plenty of sexual innuendo.  I could care less about the money. 

Sometimes, I can't believe I actually get paid ANYTHING to do this.  Basically, I drink much of the day, joking and carousing with patrons the whole time, and flirting, sometimes quite heavily, with the sexy ones.  Plus, I have female co-workers who are oftentimes batting their eyes at me, kissing me on the cheek and generally just playing right along.

In my off hours, I wonder the grounds, often with lovely ladies accompanying me, and basically do the same thing I'm doing at my pub, only with the added bonus of many very rigorous safety meetings.  ;)  After hours, it's the same thing, except we also hang in the campground, at Gnome Hollow and other places.

Really, it's just one weekend-long party, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Well met!  Shall we commence a Safety Meeting at once?

Storm

I honestly wonder how many of you who work during the week manage to work both days at fest on the weekends. I have thought about getting a job at fest for many years, but never have done so because I know I wouldn't be able to pull working both days of the weekend off. Well, I could probably do it if I wanted to, but it would suck all the fun out of fest for me. I really need to have at least one day off over the weekend to get re charged and ready for work on Monday morning.

As it is now, when we come out to fest we usually get there by 10:00 am and leave sometime between 3:00 and 5:00 pm depending on weather. The warmer the weather, the earlier we leave. When we get home we are usually both wiped out and don't want to do much but eat dinner and then veg out in front of the TV for a while before turning in. There are also days where one of us will take a nap when we get home and wake up just in time to go to bed!...LoL

So...it looks like I will forever be a playtron. But, that's OK. I kinda like being able to come and go at fest and do whatever I want whenever I want. That usually means one day a weekend, and that keeps fest fun for me. That gives me a day to unwind and get some chores done around the house and yard and be ready for work on Monday.

So today on my day off from fest, I will be getting some things done around the house this morning then kicking back with a few beers and watching football all afternoon!.....SKOL Vikings!!!........

Random Girl

@Storm. Java Monster. Copious amounts of Java Monster. It makes the friday 24 work schedule happen. Nothing like going from the day job right to the night job
~~Nessa~~
Safety Services Maven of Midnight
Crew member of the S.S. Hookers and Blow
Odissimur Iocos - We hate fun

saphire_glade

and of course SUGAR!!!!

*for those of us that are forced to be caffinee free*

LadyFae

Quote from: saphire_glade on September 19, 2010, 10:36:15 PM
and of course SUGAR!!!!

*for those of us that are forced to be caffinee free*

So what you're saying is that those giant Pixie Stix came in handy a couple of weekends ago?  =)
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

MissBubu

Physically - Drugs

I take Benadryl and Darvocet at night in the campground, and Sudafed and Ibuprofen/Aleve/Excedrin (not all together) during the day. Coffee is a must on Monday morning.

Psychologically - Performance High

My day job is my career of choice, but it gets stressful. Fest is my way of blowing off steam and letting someone else be in charge.