News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Would 1st time visit to TRF+Camping=Total Insanity?

Started by SandrineDeLaTombe, May 04, 2010, 06:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brenna

My first year to camp as well. I have no idea what to expect. Or what to pack. Or what I'll even use or need!   ??? Sad, I know. But I see I'm surrounded by very positive, experienced, helpful rennies!  Hooray!  If you could message me with some tips, ideas, links to checklists, etc., that'd be awesome!  I want my kids to have a fabulous experience.  They're older teens so they can definitely stomach the "atmosphere" and "activities".  I just want to give them the full experience and enjoy my weekend.  :D

DonaCatalina

You can start planning with this list:

tent, windproof and waterproof
a groundcloth, such as an 8x10' polypropylene tarp
sleeping bag, pad, pillow and one extra blanket (non skin irritant)
fire extinguisher
SUNSCREEN lotion (important!)
flashlight and/or other artificial lighting
stainless steel camp cookware and eating utensils (unless you bought into a group kitchen)
moderate sized cooler for ice and cold drinks/food
camping chair, particularly one with a back
insect repellent
drinking mugs, horns, containers (note: ceramic is better than wood for sanitary reasons)
rain gear (even if it's mundane)
bath towel, shampoo, soap, soap case
tooth care: toothbrush, paste, FLOSS
Comfortable footwear! - and an extra pair in case one pair gets wet.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Bonny Pearl

Quote from: hennahair72 on July 08, 2010, 03:34:03 PM
My first year to camp as well. I have no idea what to expect. Or what to pack. Or what I'll even use or need!   ??? Sad, I know. But I see I'm surrounded by very positive, experienced, helpful rennies!  Hooray!  If you could message me with some tips, ideas, links to checklists, etc., that'd be awesome!  I want my kids to have a fabulous experience.  They're older teens so they can definitely stomach the "atmosphere" and "activities".  I just want to give them the full experience and enjoy my weekend.  :D

If you look through the older posts in the section of the forum you will find all sorts of info.  I believe there are even some checklists posted.

Things that I can think of at this moment are:

Fire Ant Killer!  This is a MUST.  You never know where the little buggers will appear.

A Rake.  Escpecially in the beginning of the season.  They will have just mowed and left the clippings.

A Tarp for under the tent.  This is to keep condensation from seeping in under your tent.

The mornings are typically very dewy and sometimes chilly or down right cold.  Keep and eye on the weather.

Above ground fire pits only.  Figure out how much wood you think you'll need then add more lol.

A lot of the clans have traditional areas that they camp.  So keep checking in here.  I believe MPullen usually posts a map and lists what clans will be where.

I'm sure folks will chime in with more.

Be sure to come see us at McLot, Rows 7/8! :)
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Bonny Pearl

Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

One suggestion, lession learned though my own experience... NEVER RUSH while packing.  Make a list, check it twice then check it again.  I got in a rush last year and forgot about 20lbs potato salad and a couple dozen stuffed green peppers(AND some of my beer)...  i was not a happy camper when i got a phone call asking me if i had forgot anything... >:(

DOH!

*smacks forehead*
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Bonny Pearl

Yes Fraser........that was an epic FAIL!  LMAO!
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

HEY NOW!  It was my first go-around... there were titanic storms happening... power went out at my house... making tater salad, in the dark & drunk to boot... the the morning "ouch-my-head-oh-crap-get-the-trailer-packed-damn-it's-still-raining-go-go-go-before-the-camp-nazi-calls-wondering-where-we-are-at" thing was going on.  I know, it wasn't an excuse then and still isn't but last year turned out EPIC, anyways, now didn't it, Midge?  ;D

Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Bonny Pearl

Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Blue66669

Quote from: Fraser of Lovatt on July 09, 2010, 11:16:45 AM
HEY NOW!  It was my first go-around... there were titanic storms happening... power went out at my house... making tater salad, in the dark & drunk to boot... the the morning "ouch-my-head-oh-crap-get-the-trailer-packed-damn-it's-still-raining-go-go-go-before-the-camp-nazi-calls-wondering-where-we-are-at" thing was going on.  I know, it wasn't an excuse then and still isn't but last year turned out EPIC, anyways, now didn't it, Midge?  ;D

Camp Nazi??? Who you callin nazi?
Blaidd Drwg

Bonny Pearl

Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Ahhhh .... errrrrr.... how about Camp Planner?  ;D  (oh sh*t, here comes the sandle)

NASTY MADE ME DO IT!   :D
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Rapier Half-Wit

There you go; throw nasty under the bus. I guess that's what brothers are for.
If her eyes aren't sparkling, you didn't do it right...

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Quote from: Rapier Half-Wit on July 10, 2010, 07:28:31 AM
There you go; throw nasty under the bus. I guess that's what brothers are for.

Wouldn't be the first time...    ;D
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God