News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Scotch Tasting

Started by Rune, May 30, 2008, 08:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rune

Fiona sounds like she's bucking for a promotion from wench to tart  :D
Recommended by 4 out of 5

Rune

Rune

Probably should move the details to this page

QuoteThursday February 5th - Merlins Rest
7:30pm start.
The Laddie, the Goose and the Inch long Toul

The "Toul": Tomintoul 16 yr - Speyside
Strength: 40%
Appearance: Amber, medium.
Nose: very light a little mealy and sweet.
Palate: smooth, lightly creamy, mouth-warming.
Body: delicate:
Finish: hardly there, but pleasant.

The "Goose": Glengoyne Limited Edition 15yr Scottish Oak Wood Finish, Limited Edition: bottle #B0863 - Highland
Strength: 43%
Appearance: Medium, amber.
Nose: very woody and sherry imbued with a little green.
Palate: very light, very creamy, tingly tongue.
Body: light.
Finish: very light, finish aperitif.

The "Inch": Inchmurrin 12yr - Highland
Strength: 43%
Appearance: light, shimmery yellow.
Nose: light, peat, melon (honey dew), dandelions.
Palate: very light, cardamon, barley raw, tingly.
Finish: warming light, fizzy tongue.

The "Laddie": Bruichladdich "Rocks" - Islay
Strength: 46%
Appearance: Medium, light amber.
Nose: peat, salt water, tart berries.
Palate: sweet layers with peat, raspberries, honey, wild berries, tart lemon, salty.
Finish: wet sweet finish with a fizzy belly.

Capt. Bacardi

Bloody hell.....We have a Jaycee meeting that night....
BLOODY HELL!!!!
..It is only a flesh wound..
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Rune

And I just realized we rescheduled an appointment for that night QQ

Jack Daw at Work

There are two scotch-tastings that I plan on attending this year.  The first one is the Texas Scottish Festival (TRF-Arlington) in early June; and, the other is the one at the Long's Peak Highland Games (LPHG) at Estes Park, CO, in September.  I've done both before, and by the far the more fun is the LPHG!!  Toasts, jokes, and singing over 2 hours!  The TRF is hurried and jammed into 1 hour, but I like it, regardless.
Steve "Jack Daw" McIntyre

"The honour the Sleat Carpenter obtained...is still preserved for his descendants."

DeadBishop

So, is anyone actually going tomorrow?   ;D

R/F.com member since 2003

Toarmod

Im out as well fer the JC meeting.   :-[

DeadBishop

Eh, I saw the updated list; doesn't look too interesting anyway; I tried most of those last year at fest.  I really wish Fiona would sample some really good stuff for some of the tastings.  We rarely get to taste anything more than a 12 yr, and I always price out the scotches just to see where they fall, and they're usually never more than $25-$50 bottle.  A lot of those have been good scotches, but I'd like to see more interesting choices.

Toarmod

Quote from: Deadbishop on February 05, 2009, 09:55:14 AM
Eh, I saw the updated list; doesn't look too interesting anyway; I tried most of those last year at fest.  I really wish Fiona would sample some really good stuff for some of the tastings.  We rarely get to taste anything more than a 12 yr, and I always price out the scotches just to see where they fall, and they're usually never more than $25-$50 bottle.  A lot of those have been good scotches, but I'd like to see more interesting choices.

Agreed, they need to up the ante fer how popular they are.

Toarmod

This just in from the Wiskey Wench!

QuoteHello Everyone,
After a lot of deliberation, searching and tasting (my favorite bit). I have FINALLY come up with a provisional Scotch list for this week's tasting. To be fair to myself, I have been feverishly busy building a giant inflatable sculpture at my other job!

So in honor of Frank Miller and therefore Watchmen (yes I read comic books) I present to ye...

That Peaty Bastard!

Peaty Blend, Vatted and Single malts compared:

• The Big Smoke, Islay Blend

• Peat Monster, Compass Box Vatted malt. From Port Askaig, Islay and Kennethmot, Speyside

• Ardbeg 10yr, Islay Single Malt

• Bruichladdich Peat, Islay Single Malt (from the same range as the wonderful Rocks)

Tasting notes will be available on the website later on today: http://www.whiskywench.com
along with reviews of some of my other favorite peaty wonders. I may even stretch to a drawing of That Peaty Bastard.

I hope to see you on Thursday at 7:30pm. Same price as usual: $25 per person for four half oz shots.

Sláinte!!
Fiona

Rune

No wants peaty bastard!  :-X

DeadBishop

Bleh....that's a pretty sub par selection if you ask me.  Hopefully we don't start seeing her offer things like Sheep Dip and J&B for the tastings.

Toarmod

Quote from: Deadbishop on March 03, 2009, 09:47:11 PM
Bleh....that's a pretty sub par selection if you ask me.  Hopefully we don't start seeing her offer things like Sheep Dip and J&B for the tastings.
Ya my thoughts as well. Course some folks like "da Peat" just not me!

Jack Daw at Work

I like a good balance of both the pea'y taste and the smooth.  So, I drink something like Talisker at times and something like Macallan at others.
Steve "Jack Daw" McIntyre

"The honour the Sleat Carpenter obtained...is still preserved for his descendants."