News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

what would you want as a gift??

Started by Auryn, December 02, 2009, 09:33:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auryn

Here is the dilemma, well not really a dilemma.
I am super easy to shop for.
My mom asked me what I would like for Christmass, so I spouted off a few things including "sewing stuff".
She came back at me with "what kind of sewing stuff" and I was stumped.

I have a basic Brother machine that has served me well, it is technically hers but she doesn't want it back cause "its easier to have you do it for me"  ;D.
I just recently acquired a Singer 15-91 from the late 40s. It seems to work well but I havent had the time to check it out or take it to the shop to have it checked out.

I have a body form that I bought myself and altered to my exact measurements.
I have a nice big drafting table that I use as my sewing table.
I have a rotary cutter and a small mat for it.

What could I ask for??
What would you ask for as far as "sewing stuff" as a gift??

Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

LadyShadow

In the past I have asked for a book to teach me how to quilt and the materials to make something quilted.

As well as, for me, a gift certificate to a fabric store.  That way I can buy what fabric I want.

Good luck  :D
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Kehle

I actually had that same conversation with my mother and she was rather annoyed when I just said, "sewing stuff" so I told her to get me ten yards some pretty fabric. I figure ten is enough to do most things with for a woman my size, won't cover all my patterns, but will be good enough for most. Though if asked again I might also encourage her to buy me trim by the spool and stock up on my trim collection.

The book and gift certificate idea sounds cool too, but I can never find books on sewing and my mother doesn't like gift certificates, she thinks they're too impersonal.
Lurker is just the forum word for stalker.
(now lurking in FL)

ArielCallista

hahaha I've totally had the same thing happen. My decision was easier since i dont have a dressform, thats what i really want. So heres some ideas...

Serger?
one of those machine things that makes bias tape for you out of fabric?
odds and ends like more bobbins, straight pins, feet, seam ripper, button hole cutter, special needles (for thick or delicate fabric etc)
a sewing desk?
an array of fasteners and buttons, just to have laying around until you need them lol?
bobbin winder?
if your machine can do embroidery as well, some of those memory card things with embroidery templates in them?
and if you dont already have one you should get a simflex sewing gauge ( gives exact spacing for buttonholes, eyelets etc.)?
Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.

gem

Do you have a good library of books and patterns?
Tudor Tailor
Janet Arnold's Patterns of Fashion books (there are 4)
Moda a Firenze
Fashion in Detail
any/all of the Margo Anderson patterns
Lynn McMasters hat patterns

A good stock of notions?

True-Grid for drafting patterns
a case of Sulky or Gutterman thread, or just a box for thread storage?  Clover just came out with a nifty new bobbin unit that the folks on PR are clamoring about.
nice, sharp pins
a quality iron
new feet for your machine (do you have a walking foot?  A blind hem foot?  A narrow hem foot?  Etc.)

Pretty notions?
Beautiful scissors (last Christmas my brother bought me a pair of gorgeous silver embroidery scissors and a pewter chatelaine at the Royal School of Needlework in London.  Swoon!!)
A period sewing kit (GirlChris posted links to some a while back)
A beautiful, functional pin cushion
A pretty sewing box (I admit my MIL gave me one, but I still use my little Tupperware tub for everything.)

Not "stuff" but still gifts:
A class in your area where you could learn a new skill?
Money to get that vintage Singer up and running

Here's my list:
--Sim-flex expanding gauge
--A 20" square quilting ruler
--Variegated sewing thread (about $5/spool)
--some kind of pretty cabinet I can store my machines and notions in when I'm not using them, so they don't have to live on the kitchen table 365 days a year

But what I want most nobody can really buy me.  I'd love to have more time/motivation/experience, maybe a local sewing buddy to do stuff like duct tape doubles, etc.

Good luck!

Dinobabe

My mom had the same response.  I, too, was using an extra table for sewing so I asked for a sewing table.  She got me this from Wally World!  It folds in to be smaller.  Picked it up yesterday but haven't put it together.  I can't wait! ;D

http://www.walmart.com/Sauder-Sewing-Craft-Table/ip/1984564
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

gem, I have all the books and patterns that you mentioned. Including ELIZABETH'S WARDROBE UNLOCKED.

What I would like! The Janome Memory Craft 11000. It is a sewing machine that embroiders, sews, quilts, and can embroider designs uploaded from a  computer. There is a USB hookup in the machine. It's a computer that sews!!!

Oh the Blackwork I could do!!!
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Jessi

My list is short;

new sewing machine with embroidery capabilities
checkup and repair on my current machine (bobbin winder is broken)
bobbin winder
serger machine
gift card for fabric
Jessi

"Normal is not as common as you think."

Artemisia

Artemisia Moltabocca
You haven't had enough coffee unless you can thread a sewing machine while it's running.

Lady L

Well, I only need a couple of things...

A nice, big  beautiful sewing room
A friend who would help me fit myself and go shopping with me. (R just isn't very good at that.)
Former Shop Owner at MNRF

Kehle

Quote from: Dinobabe on December 02, 2009, 12:12:57 PM
My mom had the same response.  I, too, was using an extra table for sewing so I asked for a sewing table.  She got me this from Wally World!  It folds in to be smaller.  Picked it up yesterday but haven't put it together.  I can't wait! ;D

I have this very same table. I got mine a few years back, but I enjoy it greatly. And it folds up so nicely when not in use.
Lurker is just the forum word for stalker.
(now lurking in FL)

Alisoun

I put the rotary cutting machine, bias tape maker, bobbin winder, and a slew of costuming related books on my holiday gift list.  As a help to the husband, I also put my coupons on his laptop :) .
"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does." --William James

Kate XXXXXX

Small gifts and stocking fillers:

Simflex gauge:
120" retractable tape measure
Scissor sharpener: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51TSND8UZ8L._SL500_AA280_.jpg
Needle nosed oiling bottle for precision oiling:
Loop turner:

Bigger wallet nice stuff!

Bernina Victorinox sewers Swiss army knife!
Large rotary cutter and really big cutting mat!   

The silly things:
http://www.husqvarnaviking.com/mediafiles/dd/launch/index_en_UK.htm
http://www.hakasewingfurniture.com/custom.html

Dinobabe

Quote from: Kehle on December 02, 2009, 07:06:49 PM
Quote from: Dinobabe on December 02, 2009, 12:12:57 PM

I have this very same table. I got mine a few years back, but I enjoy it greatly. And it folds up so nicely when not in use.

How is the storage?  What do you put in the door pockets?  I hope to have mine together this weekend!
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

meauho

"What kind of sewing stuff" can be a really dangerous question.  You would have thought we would learn the first time when my mother ended up with a 20' quilting longarm after asking that question - however, a new addition to the house for quilting and to hold the old and new longarms, quilting machines, embroidery machine, and a couple of thousand bolts of fabric (plus all the miscellaneous extras that go with it) have proven that we just don't learn. 

All that having been said, I would highly recommend an embroidery machine that you can attach to a computer, upload an image, and have the machine do all the time consuming work is great (I use hers several times a month).  I know that there is a Singer that will do it for less than a grand (you provide the computer). 

Otherwise, for a less expensive option - patterns pertaining to a theme (like Ren).  Fabric can be a very personal thing - either to the person themselves, or more likely to a garment - and I've seen it sit around for years waiting for "just the right" use.  Lots of pattern choices can help alleviate the excess fabric that you just aren't quite sure what you want to do with.

"New ideas are always suspected, and usually opposed,without any other reason but because they are not already common."