News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Would you buy a lottery ticket with 99% odds of winning...

Started by Valiss, May 15, 2012, 11:07:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valiss

Would you buy a lottery ticket with 99% odds of winning $1 million and 1% odds of dying?

arbcoind

I don't buy lottery tickets, so no I would not buy this one.

Gina

Anna Iram

Every day holds some small probability of death if you think about it. So in theory no different than any other day. Would I buy a ticket laying those odds out front like that? Kind of darkside Sawish for my tastes...probably not.

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Anna Iram

Would it matter to you HOW you were to die, Gauwyn?

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Anna Iram on May 15, 2012, 11:46:34 AM
Would it matter to you HOW you were to die, Gauwyn?

I'm counting on the 99% :)  so the dying just doesn't concern me.
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Merlin the Elder

Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

The Rabbi

Only 1% that would be a big downsize for me but I think I would pass. Money has its advantages but a roof over my head, food on the table, and family and friends exceed a million dollars a hundred times over. i am good Thank you let some other soul deal with the money.
My sanity is not lost I sent it away
Proud member of FOKTOP

Bob of the Lake

Hmm...you can visit a lot of faires for $1 million, but not so many if you're dead. Then again, a 99% chance of living is better odds than crossing a street in Manhattan so I think I'd buy the ticket!
I came, I saw, I skipped to my lou.
            - Hammy the Squirrel

SirRichardBear

nope with odds like that the game has to be rigged and its a set up.  Never trust something that sounds to good to be true because it will be a trap.
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

Merlin the Elder

Those are a lot better odds than I was given to survive my last surgery.  Legitimate odds of 99 to 1, hell yes I'd do it.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Lady Kett

Agree with the legitimate odds...but...$1M isn't enough for me to do it. It'd have to be more than that before I'd even consider buying the ticket. Yes, I'm greedy with my lottery dreams. :)

Hoowil

I wuld want to make sure the two were mutually exclusive. It would just be my luck to get both. But yeah, probably. Especially if I get to choose how I die (asleep, of old age).
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.