News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Computer Help?

Started by Zoë, November 12, 2008, 11:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoë

Hey all, sorry if there is already a thread for this that I missed or whatever, but I was hoping there might be some computer gurus out there who might be able to help me out.  My dad is the resident computer guru in the house but he doesn't know Vista yet, so he doesn't know what is going on.

So I bought a new laptop over the summer with Windows Vista on it.  It ran totally fine till about maybe a month ago, when it started having issues shutting down.  It would get to the "shutting down" page and then just sit there.  But it didn't do it all the time, it seemed only when I had the power cord plugged in or the internet cable in.  (Because when I take my computer to class, and it's on battery + wireless, it shuts down fine.)  Anyhoo, probably about 2 weeks ago it started giving me the blue screen of death.  It started out doing it like once or twice a week but now it does it almost every single time I leave my computer alone for any long period of time.  Trouble is, I never actually see the blue screen happen.  What usually happens is, I go to class, leave my computer on, and when I come back it's on my login screen again.  When I login to Windows, it tells me that Windows recovered from a problem, and the problem is listed as a Blue Screen/restart.  I've never actually seen the blue screen happen; it's never done it while I've been sitting at the computer.

Does anybody have any idea what might be causing this?  The shut down problem (staying on even after I shut it down) doesn't seem to be bad the last few days, it's been shutting down normally.  I run a full virus scan at least twice a week and it never brings up any bug issues.  But I'm really worried about this constant blue screening.  The computer is less than 6 months old and I really don't want to have it go down on me or something like that. 

Thanks for any and all help...
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

anne of oaktower

I'm not a fan of Windows.  I built a computer in April and installed Linux.  I run Ubuntu and love it!  I did partition the hard drive so I can start in Windows if I absolutely have to, but that is really quite rare.

I'm sure it's no help at this point, but I'd say lose Vista.  Install one of the other Windows programs, or get away from it all together and try Linux. 

aka: Oak-hearted Annie / Anne of Oak Barrel / Barefoot Annie

"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

anne of oaktower

*pssst*  If you don't have a boyfriend, this might be a golden opportunity.  Take your laptop to the campus computer department and find a cute guy to fix it for you  ;)
aka: Oak-hearted Annie / Anne of Oak Barrel / Barefoot Annie

"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

Celtic Lady

I had a similar problem a couple of times with my laptop and I have Windows XP on it. I took it into CompUSA where I bought it from (when they were in business). Don't remember what they said or did but (knock on wood) it's been ok since.

Zoë

I'm still under the warranty on this computer but I bought it from Dell so really the only way to have them look at it is to send it to them.  But at least I can still talk to someone on the phone who's actually from America about it.  Once your warranty expires you get schlepped off to India.  ;)
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Malkavian

Follow the instructions here]"http://vistasupport.mvps.org/disable_automatic_restart_to_read_blue_screen_messages.htm"]here and disable the auto restart after BSOD.  That should let you see the blue screen message next time it happens.

If you'd post that here it may be of some help diagnosing.  Typically in this day and age blue screen problems are caused by either faulty hardware or faulty drivers but I'd want to see the error before saying for certain.

A little more information would also help: make and model laptop, how much memory, is it completely updated via Windows Update, what sort of antivirus software for starters.

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Being a PC tech and NOT a fan of Vista, It sounds like Vista has an issue. Best bet? Backup your data, and then run the Dell restore disk. You can also run their Diagnostic disk to see if it is hardware related. The Hardware diag will take about 1 to 2 hours. If it errors on the test, write down the code and what test and call Dell. If it needs parts replaced come to Loveland and I'll do it for you for the price of Lunch for Toki and I (I normally get $65 an hour for tech work outside of the job which is about standard for any PC tech.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Zoë

Quote from: Malkavian on November 13, 2008, 09:00:39 AM

A little more information would also help: make and model laptop, how much memory, is it completely updated via Windows Update, what sort of antivirus software for starters.

I turned off the automatic restart function for system recovery, but it hasn't blue screened today.  So the next time it does I will let you know what it says.

But here's the details:
Dell Inspiron 1525
2.00gb RAM
Windows Vista Service Pack 1 updated, no current updates needed
Norton Internet Security virus software
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Working exclusively with Dell systems on my past 4 jobs

I still maintain that the 1st thing you want to do is boot to the Dell Application CD which has diagnostics on it. This will take between 1 and 2 hours. It will check hardware and if hardware IS the issue give you a code in which you can call Dell and give it to them. It's the only way Dell will give you parts if a part is bad. OH you can also on boot go intot he Diag partition. I'm not used to it being there as every system I work on gets wiped clean and that means the diag partition is gone and we use the CD to run the diags. I may have one at home that most likely would work if you don't have one.

Second... IF the diag tools pass then back-up your data and run the Dell recovery CD. This WILL wipe the drive clean and do an fresh install of the OS. I am under the belief it may be the OS causing an issue and NOT hardware. Having been working with Dell systems since 2004 I have gotten to know many of their quirks. A corrupt OS will cause the issues you are talking about. But I would still run the Diags just to cover all bases and if it is hardware then you MAY not have to reload your OS unless the hard drive is faulty and corrupted the OS.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Zoë

Ok, I will try that this weekend.  Yesterday I had the computer on all day while I sat nearby and it never blue screened...but as soon as I left for the night, it did.  I swear to god it just waits until I leave.  And even though I turned off the automatic restart, it still did.  HURRR.
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy