News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The Larkspur Town Clock

Started by The Professor, July 28, 2009, 02:18:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Professor

Before it's all over... for this year...  I hope anyone interested this upcoming final weekend will take a moment to get their hand stamped and appear before the Front Gate at 11:59.  At that time, you are very likely to see Serendipity the Fairy, Stefano and his troupe, Chester Tumbledown, Garrick the Jester and... Some other guy... the last of whom will make the following announcement at around 11:59:45:

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!
The Village of Larkspurshire is too poor
to have a mechanical town clock!
But... WE HAVE ONE ANYWAY!
Preeeeeeesenting...  TWELVE O'CLOCK!

What happens after that has to be seen to be believed.  So... We hope a lot of you will soon see... and believe it.

I should also mention that the same fellow making that announcement has been awarded the Official Unoffical Front Gate Staff Award for the Sickest Front Gate Skit.  Serendipity the Fairy flits gaily back and forth across the parapet, while below, with his 'shooting stick' raised to his shoulder, the fiend in question suddenly says, 'BANG!' Serendipity flutters tragically!  She sinks from view!

That is not the end.

Below, the Fiend in Question starts to clap his hands.  "I do believe in Fairies!  I do!  I do!"  After some seconds, a hand appears at the parapet... Serendipity groggily, weakly, pulls herself back up...

"BANG!"

To stunned onlookers, the Monster in question has been known to say, "What?  If I get three more, I win the pony!"

No current estimate of the number of children scarred for life exists.

Best!
"People?  YOU DIDN'T TELL ME THERE'D BE PEOPLE!"

Ottheinrich

Will this happen on Saturday or Sunday?

The Professor

holierthanthou

I can say that both of the "Bongs" miss being able to be there with you!  May your clockwork keep ticking and keeping the village a fun place to be!
There is not enough darkness in the world to extinguish a small candle.

The Professor

When you've worked at Faire as long as I have-and to some folks, I'm a newbie--you miss lots of people all the time.  I keep seeing ghosts all over the place--people who are still alive (and a few who aren't) in the spots where I used to see them.  When as much of the Greenwood as is left stood next to parade last Saturday, I about lost it.

We are all children of the past, present, and future.  Being a historian, I tend to emphasize the first two.

Best!

Hey- Arent You?

Quote from: The Professor on July 28, 2009, 11:06:19 PM
When you've worked at Faire as long as I have-and to some folks, I'm a newbie--you miss lots of people all the time.  I keep seeing ghosts all over the place--people who are still alive (and a few who aren't) in the spots where I used to see them.  When as much of the Greenwood as is left stood next to parade last Saturday, I about lost it.

We are all children of the past, present, and future.  Being a historian, I tend to emphasize the first two.

Best!

Ditto.
as I have said, each and every person, cast, crew or patron brings their own magic, and indeed, leaves some of it behind when they go, but it's not the same without them there.
and yet.... "not the same..."  when ever was it "the same"?  the festival is like a living thing and is constantly changing... much like real life.   ;)
it is in our nature as humans to hold on tightly to what has become familiar and comfortable, and to avoid change, yet change is the healthiest thing for us, because without it, we all become stagnant.

deep stuff for being this early, eh?
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing"
~Edmund Burke

Blushing

Change hurts, but yes, it is needed ... Without change, you turn into a dry old stick ... and dry old sticks break easy.
~All human activity lies within the artist's scope~

holierthanthou

You thought I was an old dry stick before... Wait until you see me on Saturday.  ::)
There is not enough darkness in the world to extinguish a small candle.

Blushing

Well, I meant ... I mean ... oh, I know ... sometimes dry old sticks can be the funnest things out there ... scratching up trouble ...  ;D

Better?
~All human activity lies within the artist's scope~

The Professor

Blushing and Lady DeLaney got some pictures of the Clock...

I got a few of the Fairy Shooting Gallery...

'Welcome to the world's only Fairy Shooting Gallery!'

'Ha!  You can't hit me, you silly human!'

'Oh, really?'

'I DO Believe in Fairies!  I Do! I Do!'

'That wasn't very nice!  You mean human!'

'We attend quickly to all complaints.'

Finally... The best kind of shot for a fairy...

No actual Fairies were harmed in the making of this board post.  Thanks, Kate!

Best!

The Really Warped and Amazingly Sick Professor