News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What will you be having for Christmas Dinner

Started by DonaCatalina, December 15, 2008, 08:11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kcdcchef

time to bump this thread.

I know my mother in law will do prime rib, ham, pierogies, potato salad, deviled eggs, pigs in a blanket, rolls, stuffing, and if i get lucky corn.

Jessi

For Christmas eve I don't know yet, but the lasagna idea is sounding pretty good. Christmas day we will go to my dad's and load up his smoker with all kinds of meats. My stepmother usually wants porkloin, my brother will bring ribs, there is always chicken, and I plan on bringing 2 roasts; 1 pork, 1 beef. We share all the meat and dad usually provides broccilli, baked potatoes, salad, and fresh bread.
Jessi

"Normal is not as common as you think."

KeeperoftheBar

Since my brother is still recovering from his stroke, we can not have our traditional Christmas dinner at his house.  So I'll be with my Mom (aged 79).  As I do not cook, and she keeps reminding me that she is retired from being a homemaker, I will go by Boston Market on Christmas Eve to get a couple of dinners to reheat the next day.  It works great, no muss, no fuss with no overeating or leftovers.  I'm sure we shall have a merry time.
Landshark # 97
Member, Phoenix Risen

Blackbead

CHALUPAS!  We're thinking about bringing back my mom's Christmas tradition and making a huge spread of "do-it-yourself" chalupas.  You start at one end and put a couple of dabs of beans on your plate to hold the crisp tortillas in place.  Then you coat the tortillas with beans, taco meat, cheese, chopped onions, shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sour cream, black olives . . . whatever!  Put some guacamole on the side and then go sit down for a feast!  If you get everyone together early and turn it into a "team sport" then it gets done quick and everyone enjoys it more.

On the other hand, we might also do "Virginia Captain's Country Platter."  White rice in a huge platter, circled by green peas, covered with a curry-tomato-sherry sauce with shrimp and sausage and chicken breasts in it.  Sprinkle on some blanched almonds and currants and CHOW DOWN!

We'll see . . .
"It's not the gold that sets our sails, 'tis freedom and the promise of a better life that raises our black flags."

SirRichardBear

Pretty much the normal stuff Turkey and stuffing, Mashed potatoes, bake beans, Pickled and deviled egg, black olives, stuffed celery.  All comfort food for the holiday.
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

Lady Nicolette

"Tamale Torte with Black Bean Chile and Red Chile Sauce..."  All made from scratch, essentially tamales without the extra trouble of rolling and wrapping.  Mexican rice and beans, with a cilantro cream sauce.  Of course, guacamole and salsa, also all made by me.  And homemade gingerbread with real whipped cream.
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

kcdcchef

Quote from: Lady Nicolette on December 09, 2009, 01:40:27 PM
"Tamale Torte with Black Bean Chile and Red Chile Sauce..."  All made from scratch, essentially tamales without the extra trouble of rolling and wrapping.  Mexican rice and beans, with a cilantro cream sauce.  Of course, guacamole and salsa, also all made by me.  And homemade gingerbread with real whipped cream.

mmmmmmmmmmmm, home made gingerbread with real whipped cream, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

Lady Nicolette

I only really like fairly old-fashioned, simple desserts...Gingerbread fits the bill!
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

VIII

Meat, who cares what kind (so long as there's bunches) and a vat o' Mashed 'taters 'n' Gravy!

Prolly some other stuff, as well.

...and PIE!!!
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

Lady Renee Buchanan

Our son is coming home from Boston, and he requested loin of pork.  So Steve will cook that some fancy way, with a bunch of veggies, salad, & bread.  He will make mini mince pies for dessert, which only he will eat because none of us like them.  He'll probably make another dessert for the rest of us, not sure yet, but his Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! cake will get my vote.

On Christmas Eve, we go to a friend's house for an hor's d'oeuvre party for a couple of hours before church.  They always have a lot of yummies.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

DonaCatalina

We're still voting, Don Juan is the only one voting against leg of lamb.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Muffin

This year I (we) are hosting Christmas at our house! It will be my Mom and Dad and Steve and me..  ;D

On Christmas Eve I am making BBQ pulled pork in the crock-pot since Mom and Dad get in that afternoon and who knows if their flight will be delayed or if its snowing and the roads will be crap.. This will keep nicely no matter what time they arrive!

On Christmas Day there will be, She-Crab soup for the boys ( :-X *barf*)
Turkey, stuffing, cranberries, green bean casserole, corn, crescent rolls, sweet potatoes with marshmellows, mashed potatoes and gravy, WINE of course.. and for dessert we will have what my family lovingly calls "Figgy Pudding" its actually a truffle with bananas and strawberries.. So full of YUM!!

Mom and I will also make a batch of Krumkake during the day using my great Grandma's recipe..  :)
A Captains Wench

It's always Beer:30 here....

*sigh* So many kilts, so little time......

Ette

Bonny Pearl

Looks like I will be making......

Prime Rib with Au Jus and Creamed Horseradish Sauce
Pan saute some fresh Brussels Sprout with Pancetta
Smashed Potatoes with Gravy
Spinach Salad
French Rolls

Simple and yummy!  Prime Rib is one of the easiest things to make!  I love making it for Christmas!  :)

Debating on dessert still.... Cheesecake?  Pie?  Both?!   I just dunno yet!  :P
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Noble Dreg

Quote from: Noble Dreg on December 15, 2008, 02:32:17 PM
We do Christmas dinner at our house...always the same...

Chicken breast over wild seasoned rice smothered in a cranberry/orange suace (I hate cranberries and yet I love this!).

Cornbread and oyster stuffing (actually made with clams, love clams, hate oysters).

Acorn squash (Yep, love acorn squash).

And cheesecake, who could hate cheesecake?

Quoted from last year cuz it's a tradition...And it wouldn't be a tradition if we did not repeat it!
"Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?"
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small

angusmacinnes

Most likely Ham and cheese sandwiches.  I will be working, do not feel bad for me it is by choice.  I will get a big dinner the very next day.
There are many places where compromise is expected;
LOYALTY is not amongst them.