News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Space City Con - Off topic, I know...

Started by BarbarianQueen, December 10, 2013, 02:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BarbarianQueen

I just wanted to get some info and feedback from folks who have attended the Space City Con, or who are involved in it this January! 
I put the question here, since the TRF forum involves so many folks from Houston.  Feel free to remove it, if it breaks a rule of some sort.

- I tried to go the SCC website forum, but it looks like it's broken!  No comments since the last event, except a bunch of garbled autobot posts, not sure how they got there.  If anyone here is involved with the organization, maybe it should get looked at!  I would love to ask these questions there.
- I've never been to a Comic Con or Sci-fi Con, I'm not a big gamer, never been to a Larp event...but I know and love many folks who do, and love the whole genre SCA/LARP/Renfest crowd, and LOVE sci-fi of any kind!  So...what will fill my day if I get to attend?? Also love artwork and craft artisans, and discussing their work.
- I plan on going in costume - do costumed folks wear their costumes all day, or make an "appearance" and then go change?  If I go in a Cosplay costume, will I be the only one sitting at the nice Moody Gardens eating establishments in my costume?   ;D
- Will I get Tazed by the local constabulary if I wear a sword or have a pair of Sai on me?
- I am basing my costuming decisions on what I have been finding when I look up "Cosplay conventions", "Comic Con Cosplay", and also "Space City Con Costumes" (though there are not a lot of internet photos from Space City Con yet).  Can I assume that the beautiful Hentai, Anime', and video game girl costumes are OK to wear and I won't be alone in wearing them?  (I love to play dress up...but I have nightmares about walking into a convention full of people and being the only one in some crazy outfit!)
- And a most important question - what libations do they serve during the hours of the Con? Can I walk around with my Viking horn (or other, costume specific drinking device) full of mead or beer??

Wow, I'm so insecure.  Lord Scott just said, "Pick a costume, I'll make it for you, you'll rock it, end of story. Who cares what others do".  But, if you know me, you know i'm painfully shy and awkward in unfamiliar circumstances, and this will be just that.

Thanks for any input or help!  And maybe consider going - would be nice to see a familiar face :)

Breandan

okay, trying to hit these point-by-point. Zardoz is more familiar with the planning than I am, as I am just a guest and not involved in planning, so he may correct some of these.

1) The forum is kinda dead, as most of the traffic is through their facebook page. THAT is still very active.
2) There'll be authors (*raises hand*  ;D ), artists of all sorts, artisans, and of course guests of a variety of types.
3) Cosplay/costuming is a personal preference. Some folks wear theirs all day long, others only wear them for short stints, and still other serious diehards change into multiple costumes throughout the day. I promise you, you will NOT be the only person in costume :D
4) Unless you're waving it around, nope. Unless they've changed the weapon policy, as long as it's tucked in a belt/scabbarded/etc. you should be fine. I think there might be an exception allowed for photo shoots and such, but common sense on making sure someone keeps the crowds clear obviously applies.
5) My signing table last year was right at the door from Artist's Alley into the vendor and secondary guest area. Out of the thousands of people who went past, I'd say one in five were in costume. So, no worries.
6) New venue, so I have NO idea. Whatever the restaurants and bars in the hotel and surrounding area serve. As for walking around with alcohol, I'd err on the side of caution and avoid it, but I defer to others as to the policy on that.
Author, bladesmith, and fuzzy teddybear.

"I've fought my wars and drank my mead in this life, the afterlife for me will be one endless renaissance festival with an old-school tabletop game store the size of a Costco next door ;D " - me

dbaldock

3) There's a friend of Zardoz who apparently brought 12 outfits to the 3-day Space City Con this past August...   :D

(Although, due to the crowds on Saturday, she didn't end up wearing the larger flowing gown outfits.)
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous