News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Useless fact of the day!

Started by Valiss, December 05, 2011, 01:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RefMom3

Today, a young lady came into our library and let us know that someone dropped off a box next to our mini food pantry, and the box had 2 kittens in it. My co-worker, who passionately loves cats, rushed out and brought the box in. She said there was also a bottle of coffee creamer in it. Rather than call the police (we don't have an animal control dept. in our small town), co-worker took the box downstairs to our youth dept., and the librarian said she'd take them home. She and her sister have a network of unofficial rescue homes, and by the end of the afternoon they'd even found an adopter. Our YS librarian estimated they were a sibling pair, about 4-6 weeks old.

laedyfaire

Oh my goodness! Bless all your hearts for caring for these innocent innocent babies! How anyone can just drop animals off is beyond me 💔💔😡😡

My daughter's shelter currently has 52 kittens:((((((. Some there , some in foster.

RefMom3

I was helping a lady at the copier, and she had seen some of the hubbub, so I explained what had been going on. She also asked how someone could do that to these animals, and I said Maybe because we are such a DAFT species? And she laughed, and told me I was being too polite :)

laedyfaire

Very polite ! :)))

Useless fact : I once applied to work in a library and the only thing on my "resume" was my love of books, libraries and reading. Somehow I did not get the job!

Lord Argyl of Lochdubh

We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are---
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

RefMom3

Here's an interesting fact: The color we see when our eyes are closed isn't black, but gray. It's called eigengrau, which translates to "intrinsic gray," but is commonly called "brain gray." Apparently, even with our eyes closed, the signals from the rod cells in our eyes keep working, creating an illusion of tiny amounts of light, or eigengrau.

laedyfaire

Quote from: RefMom3 on June 08, 2024, 02:25:51 PMHere's an interesting fact: The color we see when our eyes are closed isn't black, but gray. It's called eigengrau, which translates to "intrinsic gray," but is commonly called "brain gray." Apparently, even with our eyes closed, the signals from the rod cells in our eyes keep working, creating an illusion of tiny amounts of light, or eigengrau.

Very interesting "useless" fact !

Useless fact: according to AI 🙄. American cockroaches can live a week without their heads

RefMom3

Wow; that means going around for a long time without eating. Wasn't there a famous chicken that lived without it's head?

Lord Argyl of Lochdubh

awwh man i like fried chicken. I hear they harvest them quickley but harmlessly
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are---
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

laedyfaire

Yes! Useless fact

Headless chicken named Mike lived for 18 months after a botched beheading in  Colorado, 1945

RefMom3

Yes, laedyfaire; that was it. Incredible outcome to that. Also feels weird to "like" something about a botched beheading, so I beg your pardon, Mike the chicken.

laedyfaire

True! Much admiration, Mike.

Useless fact: the human body has over 4 million sweat glands