News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Parking mess Saturday

Started by Fenster, October 17, 2010, 05:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fenster

Does anyone know why the early arrivals this Saturday were being forced to park way out by the campgrounds instead of up close like normal?  The parking attendant said the police forced the change, but I did not buy it for a second as the other lot was parking up front like usual.  Arriving early and getting good parking is a perk and all of us getting out of our cars we quite perplexed and rightfully upset at the change. People coming much longer than myself have never seen this before.  Thanks for any info and for letting me vent a bit, I had to walk an extra 300 yards with 2 young kids.   :-\

Zardoz

Yeah, They directed me from the 'parking lot road' down row 2 :D but waved me right, and parked me like 50 feet from the campground road  ???
What I did was holler I needed to get out and just kept driving over to the campground road, turned right and went down to row 4, turned and drove all the way down it, across the parking lot road to the main foot path.  As I got close to the parking road I saw the water truck go from row 4 to 5, so I think maybe they were directing traffic like that because they were still running the water truck on the rows closer in?
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Lady D1

We got there late on Sat and did not arrive until 12:30 then we left early at 6:30 which was the worse possible time as it took us an hour to get to Magnolia.  35 of those minutes just trying to get out of the parking lot from row 17!   Another 45 minutes to finally get home. 

You would think they could figure out how to make the traffic more bearable and quicker after all this time.  Nothing like ruining a great time by sitting in traffic gridlock.
Don't delay, taste a tart today!

Fenster

If it was the water truck they could have just said so. Blaming it on the police made no sense.

Zardoz

Quote from: Lady D1 on October 17, 2010, 07:44:09 PM
You would think they could figure out how to make the traffic more bearable and quicker after all this time.  Nothing like ruining a great time by sitting in traffic gridlock.

There's really no way out other than FM1774, as long as it's a two lane road it's gonna be that way. Even if it was widened, you would still have to choke down to one lane to turn and jog over the railroad track in Magnolia.
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

JackGonzo, MD

I got there at 9:30 or so and I can at least verify that the water trucks were running while we were parking. I parked in Row 7 and the trucks were just moving from that row.
On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

Tipsy Gypsy

QuoteThere's really no way out other than FM1774, as long as it's a two lane road it's gonna be that way. Even if it was widened, you would still have to choke down to one lane to turn and jog over the railroad track in Magnolia. 

There are some little back roads that one could take, if one were familar with them, but I don't know that it's a better option. I use the same strategy that I do at the Houston rodeo- wait out the traffic. It won't get me home more quickly, but I'm less grouchy than if I were sitting in the car burning up my gas.
"It's just water, officer, I swear. And yeast. And a little honey. How the alcohol got in, I have no idea!"

Snylor

That is the best reason for camping. No traffic to deal with. Just be alert to where established clans set up and do not try to take someones regular spot.
Valhalla Elder and Keeper of the Bra Staff

Bonny Pearl

Quote from: Zardoz on October 17, 2010, 08:27:51 PM

There's really no way out other than FM1774, as long as it's a two lane road it's gonna be that way. Even if it was widened, you would still have to choke down to one lane to turn and jog over the railroad track in Magnolia.

There are plans to build an overpass at 1488/1774 but it has been put on the back burner due to gov funding.  Not sure when that will happen, probably not anytime soon.  They did clear out all the buildings in Magnolia on the main road (Magnolia Blvd) as you come up 249.

But as said by Snylor, camp!  ;D
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Lady D1

Quote from: Bonny Pearl on October 18, 2010, 10:49:31 AM

There are plans to build an overpass at 1488/1774 but it has been put on the back burner due to gov funding.  Not sure when that will happen, probably not anytime soon.  They did clear out all the buildings in Magnolia on the main road (Magnolia Blvd) as you come up 249.

Ah, I wish I could camp (and we are still trying to)- but we have doggies and kitties at home that need to be attended to. Plus only living just on the other side of Tomball, it is nice to sleep in ones own bed and take a hot bath/shower. 
Don't delay, taste a tart today!

MacKee

Quote from: Tipsy Gypsy on October 17, 2010, 10:24:54 PM
There are some little back roads that one could take, if one were familar with them....

That's classified information  :o ;) ;D
The Order of Culloden Moor

Yrose

Quote from: Lady D1 on October 18, 2010, 11:07:58 AM
Quote from: Bonny Pearl on October 18, 2010, 10:49:31 AM

Ah, I wish I could camp (and we are still trying to)- but we have doggies and kitties at home that need to be attended to. Plus only living just on the other side of Tomball, it is nice to sleep in ones own bed and take a hot bath/shower. 

That's when you go over to the camp grounds and find friends and enjoy the camp grounds without camping, till about an hour or so after fireworks. We stay a mite later than that, but our bed is 15 min away with no traffic. I'll be a camper when I get a camper.
Don't forget to smell the roses, but watch out for the thorns!

Fenster

Heard from a TRF official that the parking change on the campgrounds side was the decision of an individual parking attendant who thought his way would be better.  She said the issue was resolved.  I knew the police story made no sense. 

Queen Bonnie

Parking was a big mess ! On the first weekend they would not let us turn left to go to Navasota from the main gate when leaving!  We did not want to go to Magnolia- but that was the only option.Making a U-turn after dark on those roads was dangerous.
Sat we parked by 8:30 on the camping side- so when we left- we could turn to go to Navasota.. We were directed to park far away from the main gate near the camping. Not very fair to early arrivals.I told them so- and a few other things as well.. Glad it is fixed.
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

Fenster

Quote from: Queen Bonnie on October 19, 2010, 02:57:43 PM
Parking was a big mess ! On the first weekend they would not let us turn left to go to Navasota from the main gate when leaving!  We did not want to go to Magnolia- but that was the only option.Making a U-turn after dark on those roads was dangerous.
Sat we parked by 8:30 on the camping side- so when we left- we could turn to go to Navasota.. We were directed to park far away from the main gate near the camping. Not very fair to early arrivals.I told them so- and a few other things as well.. Glad it is fixed.
Proves that the voice of the masses has some influence.  Never sit by and watch, always let your opinions be known.