News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

HD TV Signal change

Started by groomporter, May 30, 2008, 09:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

groomporter

Quote from: DT_Masters on June 26, 2008, 01:16:50 PM
Now, I am on cable but it's my practice not to use the tuner on the tv but rather on the recording machines.

My understanding was that as long as the TV signal is coming through the cable TV box, or a satellite TV box you have nothing to worry about.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

DT_Masters

Quote from: groomporter on June 26, 2008, 01:23:34 PM
Quote from: DT_Masters on June 26, 2008, 01:16:50 PM
Now, I am on cable but it's my practice not to use the tuner on the tv but rather on the recording machines.

My understanding was that as long as the TV signal is coming through the cable TV box, or a satellite TV box you have nothing to worry about.

Ahhh, but say I'm using the DVD/VCR tuner to haul signals out of the sky as I have done in the past. Hence, the question again:

Are the DVD/VCR's currently being sold capable of hauling digintal signals out of the air?

groomporter

Don't know about that, but if you get one of your converter boxes and put it between your rabbit ears and the VCR you should be good to go.

dbaldock

Quote from: DT_Masters on June 26, 2008, 01:31:21 PM
Ahhh, but say I'm using the DVD/VCR tuner to haul signals out of the sky as I have done in the past. Hence, the question again:

Are the DVD/VCR's currently being sold capable of hauling digintal signals out of the air?

Analog Tuners are called NTSC (National Television System Committee), and Digital Tuners are called ATSC (Advanced Television Systems Committee).  As long as your DVD/VCR has an ATSC Tuner, you should be able to receive current and future over-the-air digital broadcasts (as long as it's hooked to an adequate antenna).  Also, depending on the cable system, it may be able to tune unencrypted digital cable channels.

Just did a Google Shopping search for vhs atsc "dvd recorder" and there were 111 results.  These are most of the models that showed up.  Some are older units that are refurbished, and the others are new.  Listed alphabetically, not by price:

JVC DR-MV100B
LG DR787T
LG RC797T
Magnavox ZV450MW8
Panasonic DMR-EZ37VK
Panasonic DMR-EZ37VS
Panasonic DMR-EZ48VK
Panasonic DMR-EZ475VK
Philips DVDR3545V37
RCA DRC8335
Sony RDR-VXD655
Sylvania ZV450SL8
Toshiba DKR650
Toshiba D-VR650
Toshiba D-VR660

Hope this Helps!

Take Care,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

groomporter

I just picked up a digital converter box from Radio Shack and we are getting significantly clearer reception on all channels. There's one channel (public television channel 17 in the Twin Cities) that we have a weaker signal from and it occasionally affects the sound.